HOW FAR OFF AM I?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

HOW FAR OFF AM I?

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:08 pm

I tried a topo map. Could you check it out and see where I should or should not have dotted???

I added an untouched version of the topo if anyone would like to chime in how they would have read
the map. T H A N K S ! ! !

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: HOW FAR OFF AM I?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:48 pm

I have been up all night and I'm going to bed so I'm not going to mark up a map right now, but I will say you should take another look at your topo. You missed quite a few spots and appear to have misread some (you have some in a hollow). I'm sure Dan or somebody will help before I even wake. Good luck and keep trying. The more you practice the quicker and easier it will get.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:35 am

:oops: :oops:

I began by trying to located the ridge tops, then following them to the points. Looking for West winds first, then the next wind, etc etc

Are there particular steps you guys takes, or I imagine when you look at the maps, things pop out at ya?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:21 am

You picks look ok to me... You missed a couple good ones, and some of yours are on average slopes. But it is a good start... The best thing you could do to get good at it, is mark up a map like that and then go walk the area and look at the spots you picked...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks Dan

This map is an area inside middle Ohio. I am for sure going to do some Feb-March scouting this upcoming spring. I seen a could really nice bucks there last year while hunting with a friend.

I tried to study the map more... I did another attempt to add some other spots. Highlighted in pink circles.
When I am reading a map, and find a point that would allow for a wind I want to hunt, do I need to find the part of the point that the lines are closest together to represent elevation bing the steepest? If there are no steep edges to the point, does this mean most likely bucks will not bed there? Thanks

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:23 am

I tried to study the map more... I did another attempt to add some other spots. Highlighted in pink circles.
When I am reading a map, and find a point that would allow for a wind I want to hunt, do I need to find the part of the point that the lines are closest together to represent elevation bing the steepest? If there are no steep edges to the point, does this mean most likely bucks will not bed there? Thanks

The steeper the elevation, in relation to surrounding steep elevations, the more likely that spot will be a good one. Bucks prefer long narrow points that drop off steeply in all but one direction.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:58 am

Okay, I will study it more.

So I am assuming I still didnt get the better spots you and DEERSLAYER were referring to? :doh:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:50 am

When I went back to a clear topo, I think I seen spots that I over looked before. Also when I dotted this time, I passed by some of the spots I did before hand.
I really couldnt find much to hunt in the way of a South wind. If I am still missing the areas that you guys see that are better, could you tell me the wind direction they would be in? Dont mark the map with the spots... I like to try and figure this one out for myself
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Just a couple quick questions (just to get you thinking ;) ). What was your line of thinking for putting the blue dot on the right in a hollow? Also, why would you not place a dot on the big hill to the SW (across the hollow) of the blue dot on the upper left?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Just a couple quick questions (just to get you thinking ;) ). What was your line of thinking for putting the blue dot on the right in a hollow? Also, why would you not place a dot on the big hill to the SW (across the hollow) of the blue dot on the upper left?

Hummmm.... I am trying to see where I put a blue dot in a hollow. I am not seeing that one? I tried to place them on the 1/3 portion from the top?

If I am looking at the same big hill, and looking at the SW portion, I would be watching a gravel road was my thinking for not hunting it??

I am not sure I am looking at the same bill hill though?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:46 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Also, why would you not place a dot on the big hill to the SW (across the hollow) of the blue dot on the upper left?

I think that blue dot you are seeing on upper left is a pond. The woods from it towards the SW is basically a step bank going down to agravel road... maybe 75-100 feet to road from tree line
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:47 pm

These are the examples I was talking about.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Oh okay... So on the circled point....should I be just South of the "800" elevation mark?

The Blue dot, looked to me as if its 80 feet frm ridge top and 160 feet from the bottom of the hollow? I realize looking at it that it isnt at the tip of a point... and was actually trying to dot just a hair more to the right rather than sitting at the head of draw...I guess I am way off thinking that one hehehehe
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:19 pm

I added a few spots to your map (including some for south winds), but there are more for you to find. I also added a yellow line showing likely travel through a saddle. It's where the lowest of the black dots you labeled as rut funnels is and I also pointed out some spots that you had in draws that I called the hollows before. It seems to depend on who your talking to as to what they call them; draws, hollows, cuts, hollar's or ditch's. :confusion-shrug:

I see that you marked a spot out in a field. Is all the white actually field or has some of it grown up? If you can find a topo that has 10' intervals it might help define which are the better saddles while your cyber scouting too..
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:06 am

Thanks DS

I hope a year from now I can look back at my first post on here as quickly see all the errors I made while learning to read maps. I appreciate you guys helping me.

I took a topo of some local public ground we have locally. I marked up the map. I am going out this weekend just to see where I marked, and how it looks. The deer density isnt very high on the land, so may not find as many beds, but hope to get a feel for the topo lines on the map.

I dont hunt the area, nor many other people, so no worries about moving deer I hope to hunt later :) Just going to start practicing putting actual dirt to the maps

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”