How about this spot??

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

How about this spot??

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 am

smaller pockets of swamp here. The green outline is all red oak. The purple outline is where I have seen and or killed bucks in the past. This is all public land.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Re: How about this spot??

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:03 am

Looks like big buck country. How is the gun pressure? Like that upper left quadrant, some nice funnel between swamps.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 am

blackwolf wrote:Looks like big buck country. How is the gun pressure? Like that upper left quadrant, some nice funnel between swamps.

That is right off a gated walking only snowmobile trail. Nobody walks in their during bow season. I saw deer heading that way last gun season. My Dad always tells me you need to hunt more to the north off that snowmobile trail!! LOL!
Obsession Bows
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:23 am

I gotta say...... you are pretty brave putting up topos of your public land hot spots! :shock:

Looks like great deer country! 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:25 pm

I don't see how anybody would figure out where he is at based on that topo unless they already hunt there...

Dave,
I would walk the swamp edges near the oaks for an early season spot or two...
dv1

Unread postby dv1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:07 am

If this was in NJ, the first thing to do, would be to determine where everyone else is. It looks like there is high ground and decent access (roads) in 3 quadrants. The lower left has the least access, most swamp, and probably the least human intrusion.

The small islands I circled in red would be possible bedding locations and the red "X" is the best stand site I can see, again depending on how many other people are hunting it.

There is a good chance a deer traveling out of that big swamp in the lower left quad, will go through that funnel heading to the oaks or higher ground (assuming there are oaks there too), and if there is alot of pressure, that is about as close as he will get to those areas in daylight.

I would set up, assuming you can find the right spot, on the edge of that higher ground right below the "X". You can hunt that on most winds, you can access it from the S/SE and still hunt that funnel on most other wind directions.

It looks like you have some open areas on that higher ground, don't know what's in those fields but I would not hunt them because access is too easy and others are probably there. There will probably be sign there, but it's likely made in the dark. If that is the case, you should walk the entire transition line around the west side of that higher ground with the open areas, along that swamp. You may find a spot there as well where a buck is staging up, waiting for darkness, to come to the areas where people are hunting.

Again, if that were in NJ, there would likely be several stands along that transition line, so the red "X" is likely the best spot, and honestly, there is a good chance there would be a stand or two there as well but I think you could still catch a buck walking up that creek drainage from west to east in the evening, headed to your oaks on a N or NW wind, circling downwind before entering that feeding area. If there heavy pressure, try using it in the morning in the early season to catch him returning the the swamp as most guys will be hunting afternoons at that time of year.

Boots on the ground may change all of that though.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:56 am

dv1 thanks man!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
dv1

Unread postby dv1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:40 am

Here is something else to consider. I don't know what kind of pressure the spot is getting but if those swamp edges and islands are getting a little beat up, check the red circle just to the east of your oaks marked in green. Those topo lines come together right there indicating it's pretty steep, yet there appears to be a flat or bench just above and below my circle. Those real close lines could indicate a steep bluff and deer traffic around the side hill on that bench will pinch real tight right there. They are only going to go across there in one spot.

I've hunted a few spots like that which were dynamite in the rut. Set up on either side of it, wherever the wind works best for you. You're gonna want to test that wind with some sort of floater so you can see how it actually moves around that hill, and choose your stand accordingly, but be near that trail that connects those two flats, or wider areas of the bench.

You may also find that a buck with a few seasons under his belt there has decided to bed on that side hill, near the top, or maybe even on one of those flats where he can watch that road, especially if that is where alot of hunters enter the area. Also just a short walk to his feeding area, into a West, North or NW wind. Again, boots on the ground will tell you if that spot is a flop, or a honey hole. I looks steep so I don't imagine many hunters will set up on that hillside, which is where a mature buck will want to be, even if it is close to the road.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 pm

I was pondering the same thing DV1... I am just thinking the swamps are likely getting less pressure and the hilly woods more pushing them to the swamps...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:46 pm

I've found spots like DV1 marked and they can be great. I have also found that the slightest pressure and they leave these spots for the swamps. But it's worth checking out for sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”