Some Tall Rye

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Some Tall Rye

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:41 am

This is a backwoods plot I put in new last year. I did a few applications of round up then tore it up with a rear tine walk behind tiller. I put Rye and Turnips in which worked pretty good. The Rye made it through winter and shot up this spring.

Now its time to decide what to do for this falls planting. I have no equipment to mow it. The stand isnt very thick so I was thinking of leaving it fall on its own and broadcasting some Turnips and Rape right into it. I will likely also have a volunteer crop of Rye regardless.

What do you think?

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Some Tall Rye

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 am

It looks like you have a great seed bed to broadcast into. Good weed control from the rye and brassica's. It would have been perfect to frost seed clover into. Maybe some trefoil too. Depending on pH and location. But if the deer liked the brassic's last year then go for it. If they eat them up over the winter you will have a great seed bed to frost seed into the following spring. If you don't plan on frost seeding then I would throw in any cheap forage radish you can get too. Just remember that after two consecutive years of brassica's you should give it a break for a year before planting them again to avoid disease problems.

How did the plot turn out last year? Good growth and deer usage?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:05 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:It looks like you have a great seed bed to broadcast into. Good weed control from the rye and brassica's. It would have been perfect to frost seed clover into. Maybe some trefoil too. Depending on pH and location. But if the deer liked the brassic's last year then go for it. If they eat them up over the winter you will have a great seed bed to frost seed into the following spring. If you don't plan on frost seeding then I would throw in any cheap forage radish you can get too. Just remember that after two consecutive years of brassica's you should give it a break for a year before planting them again to avoid disease problems.

How did the plot turn out last year? Good growth and deer usage?

Plot turned out pretty good last year for what it is.

Didnt use any fertilizer at all but dumped 1,000 lime into it by hand. Didnt get a soil test but I have a bag of soil ready to be sent out now and plan on fertilizing some this year.

I think I was late with the Turnips last year as they didnt get all that big but they got absolutely hammered after the frost, along with they Rye. I got over 1,000 pictures in about one weeks time after a snow, the deer pawed the snow to get to the Rye/Turnips.

I did try frost seeding some clover this spring kind of as an expirement to no avail. That could be because the PH or macronutrients are out of whack though, I will know more about that soon.

You think I should add Forage Radish to the Turnips and Rape? I have considered Radishes but was hesitant because they are a bigger seed and may not do as well just broadcast by hand and thats it. I like Turnips and Rape because the seeds are super small and find their way into the dirt easier. It might be worth a try though.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 am

Do you think the Rye will fall on its own by mid July?

I would kind of like to till again this year and that definitely is not possible with it standing, it would even be tough with it on the ground.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am

Your lack of success with frost seeding clover is probably due to poor pH.

The best time to plant your brassica's (including radish's) is just before a stretch of rainy weather. Around here that usually occurs around mid July. A little earlier than I would prefer, but if you don't have the right tools back where your at then you have to bow to mother nature. The radish's should germinate fine if they recieve about 4 or more days of rain. Particularly if it stays cloudy in between rains. Fortunately, brassica's germinate so easily that even the dew can get them going under some conditions.

If you are going to try frost seeding clover again next spring though, I would only add small amount radish's as they have exceptionally strong alleopathic properties that suppress the growth of nearby small seeds. Rye has this effect also, but to a much lesser degree.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 am

No. I don't think it will fall until after it dies. Tilling it would be very helpful. Especially for turning in lime, fertilizer & good seed to soil contact!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:03 pm

I don't know how big the plot is.... but I would probably mow it soon, till if possible with 100-150lbs of triple 17 per acre and then plant purple tops, dwarf esox rape, and forage radishes
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Bucky wrote:I don't know how big the plot is.... but I would probably mow it soon, till if possible with 100-150lbs of triple 17 per acre and then plant purple tops, dwarf esox rape, and forage radishes

There are two like that totaling probably only 1/2 acre or so.

Dont have the equipment to mow and I rented a walk behind rear tine tiller last year which I dont know if it would be able to handle the Rye.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 pm

You could rent a walk behing brush hog (over kill) and that would run you probably $30-40 for a half day - it will get the job done and give you a nice straw mulch for your next planting. The best thing to do with rye is to spray it with round up the following year after your through turkey hunting.... usually it is less than knee high at that pt.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Bucky wrote:You could rent a walk behing brush hog (over kill) and that would run you probably $30-40 for a half day - it will get the job done and give you a nice straw mulch for your next planting. The best thing to do with rye is to spray it with round up the following year after your through turkey hunting.... usually it is less than knee high at that pt.

Thats definitely the plan for next year. I was hoping the deer would just keep it down for me but once green up really got going, the stuff just sprang.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm

ozzz wrote:Do you think the Rye will fall on its own by mid July?

I would kind of like to till again this year and that definitely is not possible with it standing, it would even be tough with it on the ground.

I was in a bit of a rush earlier so now that I'm back home I just wanted to mention that if you spray it asap, considering how sparse it is, it will probably till up OK come mid July, but I would spray it immediately. Do you have a way of packing it after you broadcast the seed? Lawn roller, quad or car tires, etc? Packing after helps a lot.

ozzz wrote:Thats definitely the plan for next year. I was hoping the deer would just keep it down for me but once green up really got going, the stuff just sprang.

That's normal. Once green up starts the deer start focusing on the tender nutritious new buds and the rye begins growing very fast.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:43 am

Im thinking of just going in there with another guy and a board and dragging the board across to knock down the Rye to it will be a good mulch.

The broadcasting turnips, rape and radishes ahead of a rain and packing it in again somehow.

Following with some fertilizer after the plants emerge some.

Then next spring I will stay on it with roundup and get a good till then.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Where are you at ozz,,,,,,if your close to me ,I have a tractor and tiller and brush hog you could use

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”