Dan/anyones opinion on this 46 acres in KS

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

py150

Dan/anyones opinion on this 46 acres in KS

Unread postby py150 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:45 am

I'm looking for some advice on how to harvest a mature buck on this land. The pond damn is over ran with wild thorns bigger than me, and the place is covered with cedar trees. Please let me know if the photos do not up load. Brown dot= buck bed, white dot = buck bed.

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Dan/anyones opinion on this 46 acres in KS

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 am

pm sent. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Dan/anyones opinion on this 46 acres in KS

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 pm

I would suggest trying to watch some of the area where its more open with good optics from a distance preferably elevated and see if anything worthy is bedding in the clumps of cedar trees.
I remember hunting a property in Kansas that looks a lot like yours... I actually had a couple spots where I set up my stand in a cedar only about 4 feet off the ground. Concealment was great, just had to have a good wind. The land owner was an avid deer hunter who had a couple monsters on his wall... I remember pointing out a pond on the property that was very close to the main buck bedding area ( a thorny thicket ) it was a drought and it was dryer than a cracker fart so I figured if the land had low pressure, bucks would be hitting that pond. The land owner laughed and said there is water all over the place and pointed out a creek a 1/4 mile from the pond. I checked the pond out and it looked hammered so I set up a stand... I am pretty sure every buck on the property walked past me that afternoon. No shots were fired as I was looking for 160 or better on that hunt. The rest of the hunt on that property was just seeing the same bucks over and over.
Anywho, the area behind your pond, looks to have good bedding elevations, and looks to be good cover. Don't discount that pond if it has low human interaction.
I drew some red lines on your aerial, check out that transition line (edge) for buck sign coming in and out and set up along that line if your unsure where the bedding is.
As far as the known buck bed, hunt that based on your scouting...

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”