New plot planted tonight

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

New plot planted tonight

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Finally got my new plot planted tonight. This will be RR soybeans till last weekend in July and the ripping it up to put it winter rye turnip and dwarf Essex rape.
Look at the far end of picture posing for my trail cam:

Will keep a running picture review of the critters that show up on here. I saw while doing my plot about 8 different deer - no bucks but this 60 acres is more of a rut funnel

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: New plot planted tonight

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Nice looking dirt patch. Is this your first time doing a plot like this?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Keep us updated on the progress.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:07 pm

looking good ;)
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Sweet
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:37 am

Not my first time but the first time on this spot. Slayer if you see something that you do different or better I am all ears - always willing to learn.
Thanks for responses

Platinum PETA Member
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:57 am

I would leave the beans and broadcast winter rye, purple top turnips, and forage radishes once the beans start to dry down in late August.... Then u will have green and grain this November = in my opinion is the best late fall food plot possible!

Exactly what my plan is for this fall on my 2.5 acre plot...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Bucky
Last year on my other spot I had to till the beans because the deer wiped them out by August which is what I was going for. I planted 3rd week of August Winter rye and turnips but the turnips never did anything. They started off great but we got a really hard frost 2 nights in row up north where this was and they basically stopped growing after that. SO that is why I was going to plant end of July - first part of August to see if I get better results since it is farther up north. I will have to research forage radishes - Where did you buy them?
Thanks
Tim
Platinum PETA Member
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:05 pm

I got mine through Welter & Honey Seed Comp in Iowa.... Deer preferred them over PT and DER in my area....

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:53 pm

The beans will be a good source of summer protein so that's fine and so is the planting time for the Dwarf essex rape & turnips if that's what you want to plant, but the timing is to early for the winter rye. The rye will be getting too mature and stemmy to be of much interest to the deer by the time the season rolls around. If you want to mix a grain in with your brassica's I would use winter wheat as it is palatable much longer than the rye, but you can just do separate strips of rye (or other grains) in September if you want rye.

If your not set on using these specific forage's then I would either go with what Bucky said or take it a step further and use my Brassica Buffet (3.8 lbs of seed that plants 1/2 acre for $20 + shipping) and plant your rye in separate strips in Sept.

Just a few thing's to think about. 8-)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 am

Bucky wrote:I would leave the beans and broadcast winter rye, purple top turnips, and forage radishes once the beans start to dry down in late August.... Then u will have green and grain this November = in my opinion is the best late fall food plot possible!

Exactly what my plan is for this fall on my 2.5 acre plot...

Ive got a pound of groundhog radishes that will find a home in august
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:44 am

Could I broadcast rye last August over brassicas?

Platinum PETA Member
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:14 am

Yup

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:44 am

Bucky wrote:I got mine through Welter & Honey Seed Comp in Iowa.... Deer preferred them over PT and DER in my area....

Great place to buy seed. I have been there in person and picked up seed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:36 am

Z7WIBoy wrote:Could I broadcast rye last August over brassicas?

That's a little early around here (I'm not sure how far north you are), but you should be OK.

Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:I got mine through Welter & Honey Seed Comp in Iowa.... Deer preferred them over PT and DER in my area....

Great place to buy seed. I have been there in person and picked up seed.

I agree. They are one of my suppliers. Except I get wholesale pricing, so for example, if you compare the mix Bucky mentioned (again, definitely a good mix) and the Brassica Buffet at comprable seeding rates his mix would cost $2.96 more (not counting the rye) unless you you bought 25 lbs or more. Then Bucky's mix would be $0.04 cheaper. However, this is making an assumption that Bucky uses the higher end of the seeding rates (as I do) for his radish and turnip mix. Then follows that up with the rye. So my figures could be off if this is not the case. The only variable in price would be shipping. I don't know what Welter would charge for shipping, but for 1/2 acre bag of Brassica Buffet I ship it for under $7.

Having said all this, I am starting to feel like a salesman which I don't mean to do. I just believe my mix is a better mix and probably at an equal or better price, but since I don't want to feel like I'm pushing people to buy my product I'm going to say go with Bucky's recommendation if you decide to change your plans. I think you will have pretty good luck with it and if by chance Bucky isn't around for a few days for some reason (doubtful) and if you need help (fertilizer or lime recommendations or what ever you might need help with) I would be glad to help you. I don't always the have enough time for the Beast to catch everything so just shoot me a PM if I don't respond to let me know there is a question you need answered and when I see the notification in my email I will jump on the Beast right away to check it out. Although I'm sure Bucky or someone on here would help before you needed to do that (if you even need any help).

Regardless of what you choose to go with I hope your food plot ROCKS!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”