Backwoods food plot

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blackwolf
500 Club

Backwoods food plot

Unread postby blackwolf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:29 pm

I see a large Seed company sells a brand of seed for "spot seeding" back in places where you don't till up the ground, but just use a grass-weedkiller about 2 weeks before planting. They suggest small wood clearings, around meadows, etc. Has anyone tried this with success? I think the product is called "secret spot". For clover you usually have to work up the area and add lime to get good results.

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Backwoods food plot

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 am

Youre going to get more rye grass than anything. You would be further ahead to just go strait to a clover without a buck on the bag.

Youre also going to need to more than likely add lime and fertilizer. Back in my early days I tried something similar and virtually nothing grew. Blamed the seed at the time and now I know better.

If you wanna sweeten the pot in the area you are hunting get a backpack sprayer and fill it full of something similar to miricle grow. Head out to the area, spray the berry vines, the drip lines of the trees, the bushes they eat. Basically make the natural stuff grow that much more.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:25 pm

bin/horse oats- just mow and psread- awesome but die at first frost
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Kind of figured that "high price" stuff was probably a waste and better to work up, add lime and plant clover.

gjs5 I like that oats idea, I may experiment with that.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Short cuts = short cuts.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”