Planting apple tree's ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Planting apple tree's ?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:20 am

I am planning on planting apple trees this spring in northern wi. Sandy soil.....anybody have some ideas?

If required to purchase mature trees thats not a problem. If possible would we have apples this fall if planted in spring?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:I am planning on planting apple trees this spring in northern wi. Sandy soil.....anybody have some ideas?

If required to purchase mature trees thats not a problem. If possible would we have apples this fall if planted in spring?

Whatever varieties you decide on make sure to get them on a good rootstock. If your soil is extremely sandy then MM111 rootstock is definitely the way to go. You can use EMLA 111 if you can't find the MM111. If it's more of a sandy loam then you might consider trying some BUD 118 because it's a great rootstock and will produce apples quicker, depending on the variety grafted onto it. MM111 usually produces in 3-5 years and BUD 118 in 2-4 years on most varieties. If you get 5' trees you should be knocking 1-2 years off that. The BUD 118 may flower the next year, but If it dose I would remove them to let the trees energy go into root and canopy development.

The hardiness zone your in will help determine what rootstock and varieties you pick too.

Depending on where your located you may want to try GoldRush, Enterprise, Honey Crisp, Ida Red, Ashmead's Kernel or Manchurian Crab apple (grafted or on it's own roots).
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 am

Some good info there slayer. I guess best to wait for apples a year or two to let the tree settle in.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:13 am

Because the trees will be in northern Wisconsin I shouldn't have mentioned Goldrush. They wouldn't survive the cold winter up there. Depending on exactly where your at Ida Red and Enterprise may not work either. The others will be fine though. If you want some other suggestions let me know. There are a ton of varieties out there.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:49 am

dreaming bucks, i was wondering how your trees are doing?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:55 am

They are doing just ok.......... I thought they would be bigger by now, but I think 9 out of the 10 are still living anyway. I didn't get them caged up high enough, and the deer nipped the tops of of some of them. They are still alive, but only have grown to about 5 or 6 feet tall.....

This year, I bought two more at Menards, that are about 6 or 7 footers......I planted these on top of our ridge, and they are looking good.... one of them even had apples on it this summer, I couldn't believe that....... I have these caged off alot better , so hopefully the deer don't get them....

If I get over by the 10 I planted a few years ago, I will take some pics.....
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:15 pm

NImageot sure if you can see the apple tree or not, I'm looking at it on my phone, & it's hard to see.... but anyway here is one of the tree's that's 3 years old... this one is taller than i thought, it's probably 8 feet tall...

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:18 am

good stufff , thanks for the photo

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”