Dan and Deerslayer food plot project...

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Dan and Deerslayer food plot project...

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Sorry it took so long to get to this thread, but I have been working 14-16 hours a day.

The first thing I would do is get my soil tests done. Having your soil in good condition will allow you to have better tasting more nutritious food on your place and to get more forage per acre. Something that is especially important for those small plots that will receive heavy browsing pressure.

I like sectioning off food plots into smaller plots because sometimes a small isolated plot can make a mature buck feel comfortable enough to come out during daylight to stage (assuming it is relatively close to his bed). Plus sectioning gives a place for other deer to hang out to feed without getting harassed and driven out of the area from other more dominant deer. Out of sight is out of mind.

I forgot to put in the blue lines Dan did for screening cover, but for screening you could use Switch grass and/or staggered rows of dense shrubs which could include mast producing shrubs. For a quick screen you can use Egyptian Wheat, but it has been my experience that it doesn't hold up well to heavy wet snow. If you plant it use the heaviest planting rate for maximum stand ability. One of these days I might try it mixed with sunflowers to help hold up the Egyptian wheat. The deer don't seem to bother the sunflowers around here very much so they should stay around to get the job done.

I think Dan's idea of a tiny clover patch to the SE is a good one, but I chose Crimson Trail mainly because of the variety it has such as clover, chicory, sweet rye, etc, but Pure clover will work too. If I knew the property I may switch where I plant each mix or I may not use some mixes depending on the soil type. For a tasty early season draw beans could be broadcast in early August right into the Clover or Awesome Antlers just before a few rainy days and it should sprout. If you want to plant all beans I normally recommend planting at least two acres to keep the deer from wiping them out, but since there will be some nearby they might make it OK. I you want beans for winter then plant in the spring when the farmers in your area plant them and plant as many as you can.

The WSG's for the bedding area(s) could be Switch grass or a combination like Switch and Indian grass. Screening cover may also be able to be used to connect two points to create a travel corridor in some situations.

I would also consider planting low maintenance mast trees and shrubs in openings on the property like Chinese Chestnuts. You can also plant Hazelnuts outside of what will be the future drip line of a couple chestnut trees to end up with a nice doe bedding area in the future. Both are fast growing, produce in a short time and have nuts hitting the ground in September for early season hunting.

Putting this farm into CRP sure would make it a great honey hole that would also pay the owner. It would give you both more bedding area's and food plots. Being an election year there is money for people wanting to enroll in CRP and last I heard they are paying good. Plus it's ten years guaranteed money. Just something to think about.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 pm

dan wrote:Deerslayer, where should I take soil samples?

Sorry I didn't notice this until now Dan. Image Call your local state university extension office. If you don't have one check with your local co-op. They will either do it or know who dose.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:05 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:

Sorry I didn't notice this until now Dan. Image Call your local state university extension office. If you don't have one check with your local co-op. They will either do it or know who dose.

I think you misunderstood me... Should I take one sample from each plot? how many?
SFen 69

Unread postby SFen 69 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Dan,

You should take multiple samples in an S like pattern around the food plot and then combine them into 1 sample.
The total sample size should be enough to stick into a brown paper( sandwich bag). We have used Waters Ag labratory. They
will send you free sample bags and boxes for shipping. You can get on their website and request it at no charge. i forget the cost but
I think it might have been $20 bucks for each sample, you just send it in and they will email you results and then mail you the bill. The people were great to work with, we told them our budget and they gave us recomendations to meet it. Deer biologist, Grant Woods (Growing Deer TV) visted our property a couple years ago and recomended what I mentioned above.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:03 pm

dan wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:

I think you misunderstood me... Should I take one sample from each plot? how many?

:oops: :doh: :mrgreen:

I generally take samples from at least two spots from half acre and smaller plots, but on tiny kill plots I only take one sample. I usually take 3-5 samples per acre. I typically do so in an X pattern including each tip and the center of the X for a total of five samples, but three would probably be sufficient in most cases. In little spots like those .08 acre plots you can probably get away with one sample if the field appears to be uniform. The same with the plot furthest north. I usually use a simple garden trowel, dig a small hole, take a small slice off the side to clean it up and then take a one inch thick slice off that side for my sample. Then I shake it up in a paper bag or one of those plastic bags like you get from Walmart to mix it together and put at least a pint of it in a zip lock bag that I already have labeled. I usually fill a quart bag and then fill their boxes when I go down there. It's usually around $12-$15 per test depending on where you live.

Take the samples to the depth you plan to work the soil down to. Usually six inches, but some people like to go eight or more which is fine if you have the equipment to do it. If you have light equipment (such as with many ATV implements) and expect to have minimal soil penetration then I would go four inches deep. The same goes for a no till planting.

The main thing is to just make sure to get a good sampling of each type of soil and each location. For example, you may be sampling a field that has light well drained soil and within that field you may find a section that is darker, heavier soil. In that case you would want to have a separate soil test done on that section.

Another example would be if you had a field that is not normally farmed or hasn't been farmed in years the soil could be in significantly different condition than an adjoining field routinely farmed that is only ten yards away.

I should mention here to anybody reading this that you shouldn't till any deeper than your top soil unless advised to by a professional (which doesn't happen very often). It's also worth mentioning that if you only have an inch or two of top soil before you hit yellow sand you will definitely need to build up your soil, but you can also be planting attractive food plots at the same time. Feel free to contact me if you are in this situation and need help. Building your soil can often be done much faster than many people realize and you can still grow some very attractive crops.

People are usually surprised by the results of their soil test, so most people end up with better results by getting the soil tested because they know for sure what has to be done to start out with a solid foundation. I myself would much rather do half (or less) as many plots correctly than to do all of them half right. It just depends on your goals. I want maximum nutrition, plant health, protein content, attraction and output so I don't like to cut corners. Been there, done that many times and done care to repeat those mistakes.

If people insist on skipping a soil test I usually recommend adding twelve 40 lb bags of pelletized lime per acre. Which would be ~ one bag for one of Dan's little .08 acre plots.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 am

Dan,
Where did you plant the Brassica Buffet last year?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 04, 2012 10:30 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Dan,
Where did you plant the Brassica Buffet last year?

The middle of the property plot you marked with one white and two pink dots, and in another location that I don't plan to plant this year due to its effect on deer bedding.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri May 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Ahhh... that explains why you ended up needing more seed. How was the deer bedding affected?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Ahhh... that explains why you ended up needing more seed. How was the deer bedding affected?

On certain winds they were bedding right at the food plot edge making access to a couple of the best stands past the food plot tough. I still want them to bed there, but the open area of the food plot makes them able to see my access. It was better with high brush and weeds.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 21, 2012 5:06 am

Deer Slayer, I think I would like to try Brassica Buffet, Pure Clover, and Awesome Antlers... Foltzy and Dave were over here this morning and we discussed the plots...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 pm

I just seen this Dan. I don't have internet right now (I'm moving), but will soon. I'm at my mom's to check email. Give me a call tomorrow (or tonight if your still awake).
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Very nice pics. You clean up pretty good Dan! That black Forge shirt looks good on a nice sunny day like that.

Where the buck is laying in the food plot you can see there are things other than brassica's in there (burnet, chicory, etc). Those deer will bury their face right down into those big leaves to get to that stuff (blocking their vision) that's what helped kurt to get set up and shoot that big 10pt a few years ago.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Sweet!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:35 pm

pumpkins can be good late in the season, they seem to leave them alone for the most part until everything else dwindles down and then hit them hard.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”