Food plot planning

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

Food plot planning

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:56 pm

For those that do food plots what are planning on planting and what is your strategy - for me the plan is the following:
60 acre NW WI
Forage soybeans for spring summer 2 acres
Still need to figure out late summer planting
1/2 acre of antler king red zone and then winter rye and turnips maybe just turnips

55 acre central wi:
Forage soybeans 1 acre
Then late summer probably deer creek succatash

What are your plans and thoughts

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Food plot planning

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Forage oats for late season.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

In my opinion, you can't beat beans. They're great early and late in the season...the more the better because the deer will really mow them down in the summer. That said, the deer are really hitting the turnips I planted right now. I'd like to think that the nips are making the winter easier on them. It's also good to have a variety for them with both perennials and annuals.
One mistake that we made was putting the plots too close to bedding. If I could do it over agian, I'd try to put the plots away from the bedding areas so I'd be able to set up between the food and beds easier. Just my perspective.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:32 am

Totally agree with you on the to close to bedding. My lands are just funnels for bucks but I do have some doe bedding on both spots. I learned this the hard way last year as I watched all the bucks cruise the doe bedding areas from my ladder stand 90 yards away. Now that I am on the Beast I feel I am not so stupid :doh: and wont rely on doe-in-heat scent to bring them in (you have to go to them if you want to kill em)
Platinum PETA Member
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:14 am

If I only had 2 acres to work with I don't think I would plant beans. If you have a healthy population of whitetails they will wipe out 2 acres quickly.

On my 2 acres I'm frost seeding clover this spring following a brassica plot. Then I will till under 2/3 of the plot and plant a mixture of brassicas again this fall.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 am

Bucky wrote:If I only had 2 acres to work with I don't think I would plant beans. If you have a healthy population of whitetails they will wipe out 2 acres quickly.

On my 2 acres I'm frost seeding clover this spring following a brassica plot. Then I will till under 2/3 of the plot and plant a mixture of brassicas again this fall.

Interesting perspective. This was the case last year with regular soybeans that is why I was looking to go with Eagle Seed Forage soybeans - plants are huge and there is more of a focus on the forage than the bean growth. I want the deer to swipe them out since I wont be keeping them around for winter anyways. I might mix in some clover to boot. Great post and thanks for your thoughts - you got me thinking
Platinum PETA Member
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 am

www.outreachoutdoors.com

Lots of reading to be done with somebody who knows much more about food plotting...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”