Whitetail Waterholes for Small Parcels

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Re: Whitetail Waterholes for Small Parcels

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Jeff, or anyone else with knowledge of water holes and mature bucks. What do you think about putting a water hole in a funnel between two bedding areas. This stand is at the head of a large cut/ravine that opens up into decent sized valley. I have had good to great results from this stand during the rut as bucks cruise the bedding areas. But I have always thought a waterhole in the beginning of the cut/ditch at it's shallow point would be a great addition.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:02 am

Does anyone have an opinion on this?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 am

If you already have big bucks moving there in day light, I agree it would likely be a good spot.
Most of the water holes I have seen work well are near buck bedding, and have thick cover from the bedding to the water hole edge... I really like water holes for early season, but they work really well in rut too. What I have noticed with cruising bucks in the rut is if they are going past out of range they seem to detour over to the water...
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:11 am

Dan, interesting that you see bucks "detour" to water when out "cruising" in rut. Gives me a couple good ideas to try a small water hole.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:47 am

dan wrote:If you already have big bucks moving there in day light, I agree it would likely be a good spot.
Most of the water holes I have seen work well are near buck bedding, and have thick cover from the bedding to the water hole edge... I really like water holes for early season, but they work really well in rut too. What I have noticed with cruising bucks in the rut is if they are going past out of range they seem to detour over to the water...

Thanks Dan, I am going to put a waterhole in there right after turkey season. Do you think setting a tank into the ground and back filling around it works as good as a dug out hole?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:20 am

I think "dug" water holes work best cause you don't have to fill them or mess with them... But there are draw backs. If you don't have a clay base your hole won't hold water unless you add Bentanite to seal it.
The good part about the tanks is its easy to say you made a placement mistake and move it, not so easy to move a pond.
I think the right placement is key. You need to put it where a mature buck will move in daylight.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:34 am

I have one spot where there is a small upland marsh with water in dry years with no other water for over a mile. It is in rolling, hilly country with cuttings, pine and oak and always holds a couple bruisers. The little marsh is probably 75 yards long by 30 yards wide and has several beaten deer trails following to and around it. The problem hunting is picking a spot not to spook deer scentwise. One idea I have now is making a small waterhole about 50 yards from the pond marsh next to thick cover where I can better locate to not spook any deer coming to pond. What do you think?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:36 am

blackwolf wrote:I have one spot where there is a small upland marsh with water in dry years with no other water for over a mile. It is in rolling, hilly country with cuttings, pine and oak and always holds a couple bruisers. The little marsh is probably 75 yards long by 30 yards wide and has several beaten deer trails following to and around it. The problem hunting is picking a spot not to spook deer scentwise. One idea I have now is making a small waterhole about 50 yards from the pond marsh next to thick cover where I can better locate to not spook any deer coming to pond. What do you think?

Got a topo?
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:15 pm

I have a little water hole that has been pretty good over the years...thinking it could be moved about 80 yards to an even better spot closer to bedding. However I have plenty of daytime buck pics, I just haven't ever hunted it on the right day!

Zap, funny you brought up the fly virus thing, I have found a couple young dead turkeys by my water hole and a dead doe once. They all died within 5 yards of the water hole. I always assumed they were sick or maybe got clipped by a car (busy road nearby) and went to the water hole to sooth themselves??
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”