any other stand ideas or maybe move what i have?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FRH
500 Club

any other stand ideas or maybe move what i have?

Unread postby FRH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:43 pm

This is an area that i have hunted for the last 5 years and it seems that it's best before gun season starts. I get a lot of pics over here but can never seem to seal the deal on a big buck. I see plenty of does early in the season but only seem to get pics of bucks. I don't know if this is an area i am overhunting or what. I try to keep the trips across to stand 1 to a minimum and might hunt it once every two weeks or so and only on evening sits. Anyone have any other suggestions. oh and my property line is only a little bit into the trees on the north and west sides so going further in is not an option.
Red=deer trails, purple=my trails, blue=known deer beds *also the bed by stand 1 has another bedding area 200 yds past where the pic stops. Its all cattails out to a high spot about 50 yds wide but no trees

FRH
500 Club

Re: any other stand ideas or maybe move what i have?

Unread postby FRH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Heres another part of the property. The stand sites with an -a next to them are where i am thinking about moving the corresponding stand # too. The reason im moving #3 is that when i was scouting earlier this week from the bed to the south you can see everything i do in the tree from the bed. This way ill be a little farther away but still be able to keep an eye on the area. #4 is a spot i used to hunt out of and would like to get back too. This way im not crossing the field to get to my spot and can quickly get in and out and still see to the east and cover the field. This spot will be more so for rifle season so i can cover the whole field.
red=deer trail, white=scrapes, green=food plot (this year i had oats and brassicas and it was hammered from oct thru dec), yellow=doe bedding, blue=buck bedding
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Is this something you hunt the entire season or only early season? How many acres is it?
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:18 pm

This is my place. The total acres on the farm is 190 but these are the two main areas that I hunt. Last year I hunted a lot. Too much I think but it was hard not too knowing the type of deer that are in the area. This year I really want to cut back on the pressure here and hunt public a little more and maybe pick up another spot or two. Oh and I do hunt all season. The only time someone else hunts is when my dad goes in gun season but he hunts a field edge not anywhere near these spots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Welcome to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”