67 acres in Western, Pa.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bbrilmyer

67 acres in Western, Pa.

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:14 am

Hey Guys,

First time posting. It was probably almost a year ago that Zap referred me to Dan's videos from another forum..It took until now to take him up on the offer. Thanks again Zap. Happy to say that I will be finally ordering the videos next week. To say that I am intrigued about this style of hunting would be an understatement. I am lucky enough to have exclusive hunting rights to some primo private (the term "private" is relative. I don't believe any property in my area is truly private, people have very little regard for POSTED signs) properties in the area, I know these properties hold big mature bucks, but have yet to encounter one while on stand. My current hunting style is composed of having a TON of pre-set trees with steps and rotating through them with my treesaddle.

In the meantime, I would love to hear what you guys have to say about possible buck bedding/land improvements I could do on my property pictured below.

It's 67 acres in total. I am the only one bowhunting this property (I do allow the neighbors some rifle hunting and recreational walking. Good neighbors are worth it). Bordered by a residential complex on one side and a hunting club on the other. All water sources are marked in blue. The property north of the creek is just about as thick as it gets. Luckily there are two tracks all through it which enables some very quite entry and exit routes. The property south of the creek is all wide open big woods. The green is a new clover foodplot that will be going in this spring.

Let me know what you guys think. I'd appreciate any help.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 67 acres in Western, Pa.

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:44 am

It's 67 acres in total. I am the only one bowhunting this property (I do allow the neighbors some rifle hunting and recreational walking. Good neighbors are worth it). Bordered by a residential complex on one side and a hunting club on the other. All water sources are marked in blue. The property north of the creek is just about as thick as it gets. Luckily there are two tracks all through it which enables some very quite entry and exit routes. The property south of the creek is all wide open big woods. The green is a new clover foodplot that will be going in this spring.

looks like the type of property I would want to walk every inch of... Hard to get a feel based on the maps... The only thing that stands out is the top 1/4 of the ridge on the south side of the creek. I could see a good buck bedding up there watching the creek valley...
I would not be surprised to find buck bedding watching the two track you use for access too..
I think you need to do some walking...
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for the response Dan.

Yea the topo doesn't really seem to do it justice. I've walked it like crazy, but never looking for what has been described on this forum. Hopefully this shed season will open up some new opportunities for me for next season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:16 am

Being in a hig pressured area- personally i would nix the rifle hunting (how they heck could that be donein there safely anyway) and other intrusions, especially dogs. You posted this in the management section, not the hunting section, so i am approaching it as such.

I would gain access through some of the residential back yards if possible, or at least determine how much bedding is along them (such as th ewestern side)

A few no-brainer inside corners I would evaluate further and as Dan stated burn up all the boot leather you can. Ground i have seen in this area and similar scenario seemed to have bedding right on lawn edges and any mature bucks were central (hub) located....need to detrmine food sources- early like you said would be oaks or moreso soft mast.......but i would not discredit this for late season esp with the thick mess being some prime safety zone
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:12 am

Limiting human intrusion has been a work in progress. I only gained control of this property of this property about a year ago. Up until then the neighbors had adopted it as their own. Since I've taken over they have indeed been very respectful, only naive. There is a definite fine line to walk in regards to imposing new rules and still keeping the neighbors happy (to a degree). They are a very valuable asset. On more then one occassion they have kicked tresspassing hunters off. Of course they have no idea how much their pressence within its boundaries effects the deer themselves. They truly believe that as long as they arent killing anything, that they arent hurting my hunting chances in the least bit... Up until only a few weeks ago ATV's and dirtbikes were pretty commonplace. That has now been nixed and should hopefully have a pretty favorable effect.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”