New spot plan - opinions?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

New spot plan - opinions?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:29 am

My buddy and I scouted and came up with a hunt plan for this new section that we came across. Still have to go sit the winds to make sure that they will work. Here's the plan:

Hunt #1 - Come in from the S, mid-morning, set up and hunt the water hole S of the big bed once early season. Access will be on a NE, N or NW wind.
Hunt #2 - In late October, hunt the biggest primary scrape. This is a perennial scrape in use year round. It was freshly worked two days ago. Access from the N on a W wind preferably on a morning after bad weather. Be in stand and settled 2 hours before first light.
Hunt #3 - If the first two hunts aren't successful, come in Early November from the S 2 hours before light and hunt the red dot off of the green line just NE of his bed. He uses this trail coming back to his bed in the AM. It has a major scrape on it that is in use right now and there are multiple rubs from various bucks along this trail. Hunt on a NW wind.
StrlHunt.jpg

How's that plan sound? What suggestions for changes would you make? Thanks!

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: New spot plan - opinions?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Good looking area you've got scouted out there, NB.

Hunt #1- I'd check those updraft thermals from the south side when your stated wind is from the NE, N or NW to make sure they weren't giving you away to the bedded buck. If you are confident they aren't, I would expect the buck to swing downwind before he approaches the waterhole destination. If he can't, and he's mature, he may go somewhere else for water- and hit that source when the conditions favor him again.

Hunt #2- pretty cool you have a perennial scrape there. If he's working the scrape in September, he's likely mature- the last buck I found working a good sized scrape in September was taken by an acquaintance when the Mich. season was open, and he was a beast. If the area isn't receiving much hunting pressure from scouting, other bowhunters, small game hunters etc. I would consider an early hunt near the scrape. It's really not that far from the bed, and you may catch him walking by it during the daytime those first few days of the season- before hunting pressure locks him up in his security zone.

mah two pennies, NB! 8-)
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 am

Singing Bridge wrote:check those updraft thermals from the south side

Right on, I definitely plan on doing that before I hunt it.
Singing Bridge wrote:I would expect the buck to swing downwind before he approaches the waterhole destination.

Now THAT is something I hadn't considered. I assumed that since the hole was so close to his bed, almost within sight, that he would just drop straight down for a sip. I'll make sure I factor that possibility in.
Singing Bridge wrote:I would consider an early hunt near the scrape.

I think you're right about this too. I probably should hunt this as one of the first hunts. Thanks! :D
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:32 am

Generally we put water holes above the buck beds or level with them to prevent thermal updraft.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:29 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that buck is going to have updrafts from that hole, but I haven't sat it yet to find out how it plays on a N, NE, or NW wind. It's a naturally occurring waterhole and is the closest source of water from the bed. Since it's lower than his bed, would you just avoid hunting it? If you did hunt it, how would you most likely set up? Thanks Dan!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Either an east wind. Would have to be enough breeze push the thermal current.
or run in there and hunt quick right after thermal direction changes... If its your land and you have a preset stand it should work. You should get the last 30 minutes or so of daylight.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:19 am

Thanks! I really appreciate the suggestions and feedback. Anything else that I might be overlooking?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:29 am

Anything else that I might be overlooking?

You might want to check the two spots I have marked with red dots for buck beds...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 am

That point to the N is actually developed. I know that was impossible to tell from the topo. But there's a big house right on that point.
As for the point to the SE, I was positive there was going to be a big bed on that point. It's pretty open in there and I figured a big buck would come up that scrape line taking in all the scents from the bedding area and then drop back down from the N with the wind to his back and bed on that point. He would be able to see everything coming up the scrape line from his bed and get all the smells from the bedding behind him. But I couldn't find a "this is it" bed. Several matted down areas, lots of moose sign, several possible beds. But nothing definite. If I had more experience I might be able to ID his bed there. Also, there is a chair right out there on the point that looks like a shotgunner's spot.
I REALLY appreciate those tips Dan! I may need to just sit somewhere high and observe how the deer/moose are using that SE point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”