Key to success on managed private land...

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Key to success on managed private land...

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 pm

I personally have never killed a buck on an open field food source. I have killed some bucks on food sources that were in thick cover. Acorns come to mind. Corn, in standing corn fields also come to mind. It is pretty stinking hard to kill a good buck in an open field food source(archery). I know a lot of guys that are putting food sources in thick cover. This food plot was established last year on an adjacent property that I hunt.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 pm

I kinda skimmed thru this thread so maybe this has been covered.
I have access to 120+ acres of private land. This land has everything a person would want. Bedding, food (browse, acorns, no plots) and water.
unfortunately, the land could not be layed out worse. There was a few clear cuts done but the layout is all wrong.
I would say the key (besides the basics) is land layout. The property I hunt gives the deer almost every advantage. If I owned land I would plan, plan, plan. I would lay the property out so I could get the deer to bed,travel, and feed where I wanted them to and set it up for great access to stand sites.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:25 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I kinda skimmed thru this thread so maybe this has been covered.
I have access to 120+ acres of private land. This land has everything a person would want. Bedding, food (browse, acorns, no plots) and water.
unfortunately, the land could not be layed out worse. There was a few clear cuts done but the layout is all wrong.
I would say the key (besides the basics) is land layout. The property I hunt gives the deer almost every advantage. If I owned land I would plan, plan, plan. I would lay the property out so I could get the deer to bed,travel, and feed where I wanted them to and set it up for great access to stand sites.

Layout is super important when setting up a property to get the maximum potential out of it, yet very few people ever seem willing to take the time to put a well thought out detailed plan on paper before they start. Trying to get them to do this is like pulling teeth on an elephant. Magic has it right... plan, plan, plan! I wish everybody would think the same way.

Magicman,
Would the owner let you do anything at all to help your situation?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Good point Magic... I have seen plenty of properties that have one access and laid out in a way making it very difficult to hunt.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:I kinda skimmed thru this thread so maybe this has been covered.

Layout is super important when setting up a property to get the maximum potential out of it, yet very few people ever seem willing to take the time to put a well thought out detailed plan on paper before they start. Trying to get them to do this is like pulling teeth on an elephant. Magic has it right... plan, plan, plan! I wish everybody would think the same way.

Magicman,
Would the owner let you do anything at all to help your situation?

Basically, no. I just enjoy it for what it is. At this point things are so messed up (from a hunting standpoint) that it would take drastic measures to make it better.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 am

Great point for sure. An east entrance/access is something I look at when analyzing a properties potential. This day and age the average hunter isn't going buy land he is going to ask, lease, rent.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”