A new Hunting Area for Me...Please review

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AB_Vinny

A new Hunting Area for Me...Please review

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:57 am

I gained permission to a prime spot in a bow-hunting only area. The attached pictures show this 1/4 section. The second picture is just zoomed in. Lots of deer out here and from what I have seen most activity is in the north half. You will notice in the north half, where the farm field ends there are trees, willows and everything else is like a dried marsh.

1/4 Section

Now zoomed in to dried marsh/woods

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: A new Hunting Area for Me...Please review

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:49 am

Sorry I'm no help, I hunt hill country.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:05 pm

From those pic's I could really only help with rutting funnels... I would need more detail in the pic's and possibly a topo.
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:44 am

dan wrote:From those pic's I could really only help with rutting funnels... I would need more detail in the pic's and possibly a topo.

Went for a couple hour scout yesterday and only managed to cover part of the property. Here is what I found by following tracks in the snow. As far as at topo goes it is flat as a table top. The contour lines in Canada are at 33ft intervals, so very, very poor. You can barely tell if there is a mountain on your property :roll:

AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Fri May 03, 2013 4:21 am

Ok here is more info. The property is flat and I found a few beds in the NW where I usually see them. I have to scout the southern creek of the property as I know they have been seen there as well as the north property line. From the short amount of time I scouted in the snow last november I marked up locations on the map below:

[img=center]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee372/vgranson/FarmNov23b_zpsdb126f7a.jpg[/img]

The image below explains what everything is:
[img=center]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee372/vgranson/FarmwHay.jpg[/img]

This image shows a zoomed-out photo to understand the area. Again really flat.
[img=center]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee372/vgranson/farmzoomedout_zps8d72aea9.png[/img]
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Sat May 04, 2013 12:45 am

I wont try and make sense of a place that I have never been too but I will say that I love your maps! What programs did you use to make them look like that?
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 am

bbrilmyer wrote:I wont try and make sense of a place that I have never been too but I will say that I love your maps! What programs did you use to make them look like that?

I just enlarged the slides in Microsoft Powerpoint [File/Page Setup]. Then I inserted the picture as a "Master" [View/Slide Master] so it is a background, then I drew all over it. For the shaded areas I drew a "freeform" autoshape in Powerpoint then increased the transparency (right click on your closed Freeform shape and click on "format autoshape". When done you can click Save As and choose a Jpeg rather than a PPT slideshow to save it as a picture. Adobe Acrobat will do alot of this too, but many don't have the license.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:30 am

Looks like you already found a lot of the buck bedding... I would also walk the edges of the woods and fields and look for early season beds on outside corners, fingers, and points along the edges.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:52 am

As far as that river to the south goes, look close at the inside bends of the river. They bed where it looks like the inside of a horseshoe with the wind coming in the exposed area.
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Wed May 08, 2013 2:57 am

dan wrote:As far as that river to the south goes, look close at the inside bends of the river. They bed where it looks like the inside of a horseshoe with the wind coming in the exposed area.

I am going out to do a bit more scouting this afternoon. Any suggestions on where to put a food plot in the woods? I was thinking in the south-east corner along the creek.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed May 08, 2013 4:14 am

AB_Vinny wrote:
dan wrote:As far as that river to the south goes, look close at the inside bends of the river. They bed where it looks like the inside of a horseshoe with the wind coming in the exposed area.

I am going out to do a bit more scouting this afternoon. Any suggestions on where to put a food plot in the woods? I was thinking in the south-east corner along the creek.

I will take a closaer look when I get a chance... What do you intend on planting?
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Wed May 08, 2013 4:30 am

dan wrote: I will take a closaer look when I get a chance... What do you intend on planting?

There is a Canadian company called RackStacker and I know their minerals are pretty good because they address what our soil lacks in comparison to some areas of the US (such as selenium). The food plot is an easy to plant one called WalknToss. I'm not sure what's in it but this guy's blend is higher protein and lower in fat because our native feed here is high fat low protein already. I intend on putting out the mineral now and then seeding the plot in the woods. The mineral should keep them coming until the plot comes in.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 am

There is a lot more to food plots then just throwing some seed down... You might consider different types of seed based on your exact needs, like a blend that has a good late season seed in the mix so that when all the other food is gone you have the only attractant... I have done real good with Slayer seeds "crimson trail" it has a mix that is great all season, but leans heavy on late season brasicas. I would imagine in your area a great late season plot would really get hammered due to your winters... I would check with Deerslayer before purchasing though, just to make sure the seed types will work in your climate. It rocks down here.
You might also want to consider getting a soil test and fertilizing your plot. Proper fertilization can turn an average plot into a great plot.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri May 10, 2013 6:31 am

AB_Vinny, I don't ship to Canada because I would not only need to get and exporting permit, but each order would require various forms to be filled out such as a declaration form for the closest point of entry and the Import Service Center as well as the Canadian Border Services Agency require a Request for Release Approval form. Plus an acceptable certificate of analysis, etc. There are other regulations to follow according to their Seeds act too. Maybe at some point I will become a seed exporter, but at this point in time it does not make sense for my business.

However, if you know of a Canadian seed company or companies that have a good variety of different seeds to choose from you can PM me and I'm sure I can help you put together an excellent mix for your specific needs. I'm happy to help a fellow Beast member. Also, if your soil is low in selenium I would make sure to plant some chicory since it is good at mining selenium from deep within the soil.

As far as RackStacker goes, nothing on their site seems very specific about their blends and I don't know anything about them so I can't really comment on the blends they have.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Wed May 22, 2013 9:17 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:AB_Vinny, I don't ship to Canada because I would not only need to get and exporting permit, but each order would require various forms to be filled out such as a declaration form for the closest point of entry and the Import Service Center as well as the Canadian Border Services Agency require a Request for Release Approval form. Plus an acceptable certificate of analysis, etc. There are other regulations to follow according to their Seeds act too. Maybe at some point I will become a seed exporter, but at this point in time it does not make sense for my business.

However, if you know of a Canadian seed company or companies that have a good variety of different seeds to choose from you can PM me and I'm sure I can help you put together an excellent mix for your specific needs. I'm happy to help a fellow Beast member. Also, if your soil is low in selenium I would make sure to plant some chicory since it is good at mining selenium from deep within the soil.

As far as RackStacker goes, nothing on their site seems very specific about their blends and I don't know anything about them so I can't really comment on the blends they have.

I looked on the bag and it says "Walk n Toss contains: Certified #1 - Alsike Clover, White Clover, Red Clover, Annual Ryegrass and Brassicas"

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”