Fertilizer

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Fertilizer

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 am

What is a good fertilizer that the experienced food plotters have used? we will be establishing some new plots this spring and hoping to get a good layer of fetilizer on with our seeds as well
Thanks

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Fertilizer

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:08 am

Just get a plain fertilizer that match's your soil test. 19-19-19, 0-0-62, 46-0-0, etc. What ever combination it takes to end up with what you need. You just want to make sure it is fertilizer only and not some type of weed and feed fertilizer. Also don't get fertilizer that has been stored outside. The best place to go is your local co-op.

If you didn't get a soil test you really should get one ASAP, but if you can't get one in time let me know what you are planting and in what type of soil and I can figure out what you should use and how much.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 am

DeerSlayer is right, you should get a soil test ASAP. That will let you know what fertilizer combo will give you the best bang for the buck. Also, don't forget about pH. Alot of people think you can just throw fertilizer down and have success. If your soil is to acidic, all the fertilizer in the world won't help, because in high acidic soils the fertilizer is not in a form that plants can use. You need to lime it if you have a high pH. If you can not get a soil test, I would use the triple 19 Deerslayer suggested. I would also throw down some lime, because most "unfarmed soils" are on the high pH side. But try and get that soil test, it's really well worth it, you can list the "crops" your going to plant, and it will give you the actual amount and type of fertilizer neeeded, for optimum plant production. You will get the best response from properly fertilzed plants from the deer as well.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:08 am

It depends on what you are planting. For instance if you are planting clover, you are going to want a fertilizer with a low nitrogen count (the first number), because clover actually produces nitrogen and releases it back into the soil and with to much nitrogen it promotes weed growth.

Like Deerslayer said its best to get a soil sample, if I remember correctly though you can go with a generic rate of 200# per acre ;)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 am

Black Squirrel wrote:...You need to lime it if you have a high pH...

I think you meant a low pH Blacksquirrel.

Black Squirrel wrote:Also, don't forget about pH...because in high acidic soils the fertilizer is not in a form that plants can use...

The way pH affects fertilizer is that the minerals needed by plants (like the N-P-K in your standard fertilizer mix) have a positive charge. The soil is loaded with silicon which has a negative charge. The minerals and silicon are attracted to each other and form a strong bond between them that the plants have difficulty over coming. The calcium in lime will attach itself to the silicon in place of the minerals. Thus freeing up the nutrients for use by the plant and giving you that nice lush food plot we all want.

Black Squirrel wrote:...If you can not get a soil test, I would use the triple 19 Deerslayer suggested...

That would still depend on what you are planting. For example, you may want little if any nitrogen when planting legumes, but when planting corn you will need lots of nitrogen. Plus some plants need far more fertilizer than others.

Here are a couple of charts that some of you may find interesting. As you can see from the bottom chart, you could waste up 77% of your fertilizer when your pH is too low.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:23 am

Deerslayer, You are right I meant low pH. :oops: Thanks for the clarification. Good charts. Great explaination on the effects of pH and nutrient availability. I couldn't figure out a way to say it like you did. That is exactly why those soil test are so important!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 am

Black Squirrel wrote:...That is exactly why those soil test are so important!

Yes! For years people have had it drilled into their heads how important it is to get a soil test and yet they still don't do it or if they do they don't follow it!Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”