When to spray for briars?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

When to spray for briars?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:04 am

Thinking about buying one of these sprayers to put on my 4 wheeler..... My 4 wheeler trails are really growing in from the sides with briars, multi floral rose, etc...... I was thinking this would be a good way to spray it..... But, when?

Do I try to kill it yet this year, would that make it easier to spray it once now, and then maybe hit it again next spring when it greens up again? Or just wait until next spring and spray it..... I'm not sure if one time is enough to kill that stuff. Its over my head tall....

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: When to spray for briars?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:19 am

You won't see a lot of benefit of spraying now. I'd mow it and wait until next year.

Spray shortly after first emergence in May. Wait a few weeks and spray again. Maintenance spray as required after that. If the trail complements the movement on your property, I'd consider food plotting it too.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:24 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:You won't see a lot of benefit of spraying now. I'd mow it and wait until next year.

Spray shortly after first emergence in May. Wait a few weeks and spray again. Maintenance spray as required after that. If the trail complements the movement on your property, I'd consider food plotting it too.

The trail itself has some clover in it, but off to the sides, its really growing in fast with briars, prickly ash or whatever you call it..... it's all hill country, and yes, the deer do use the trails, but I'm just afraid if I don't do something with it pretty quick, I won't get my 4 wheeler through it... but ya, I think I will wait until next year, I really don't want to be in there stinking it up with my scent anymore than I have to anyway....
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:25 pm

It depends on what type briers or trees (prickly ash) you actually have, but unless it is already dying off for the year I disagree with BassBoysLLP. This can be one of the most effective times of the year to spray, while the plants are trans locating their nutrients down into their root system. I agree with the rest of what he said though.

If you don't want to stink up that area and think you can get by for this year then you could just skip it until spring. It will take more than one application anyway.

I have that same sprayer and it works pretty good. I wish the boom was heavier duty, but it gets the job done.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:54 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:It depends on what type briers or trees (prickly ash) you actually have, but unless it is already dying off for the year I disagree with BassBoysLLP. This can be one of the most effective times of the year to spray, while the plants are trans locating their nutrients down into their root system. I agree with the rest of what he said though.

If you don't want to stink up that area and think you can get by for this year then you could just skip it until spring. It will take more than one application anyway.

I have that same sprayer and it works pretty good. I wish the boom was heavier duty, but it gets the job done.

Thanks for the advice guys...... I think I will just wait until next spring to do it, I really don't want to intrude on a couple nice bucks hanging around on our land.... The briars can wait until next spring....

On a side note, do you guys just spray "ground clear" to get rid of the stuff you don't want growing?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:03 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:It depends on what type briers or trees (prickly ash) you actually have, but unless it is already dying off for the year I disagree with BassBoysLLP. This can be one of the most effective times of the year to spray, while the plants are trans locating their nutrients down into their root system. I agree with the rest of what he said though.

Thanks for the advice guys...... I think I will just wait until next spring to do it, I really don't want to intrude on a couple nice bucks hanging around on our land.... The briars can wait until next spring....

On a side note, do you guys just spray "ground clear" to get rid of the stuff you don't want growing?

Ground Clear is pricey and the primary active ingredient is glyphosate. Go to your local farm supply store and buy yourself a 2.5 gallon jug of generic 41% glyphosate and mix it yourself using the sprayer. You will save A LOT of $$$ in the long run.

The Fimco sprayer relies on valve to generate back pressure from the pump to spray. By fully opening the valve, you can continuously recirculate the contents of the sprayer.
Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:07 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:

Ground Clear is pricey and the primary active ingredient is glyphosate. Go to your local farm supply store and buy yourself a 2.5 gallon jug of generic 41% glyphosate. You will save A LOT of $$$ in the long run.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”