Scout to hunt ratio...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whats your scout to hunt ratio?

I hunt a lot more than I scout
14%
I hunt more than I scout
21%
I scout more than I hunt
21%
I scout a lot more than I hunt
43%

Total votes: 14
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scout to hunt ratio...

Unread postby dan » Sat May 19, 2012 11:55 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
dan wrote:A couple comments bring up a good question... What do you consider scouting?

I believe a good hunter is always scouting. Even on trips to your stand you should be aware of whats going on. I have learned to slow down and be aware. It's easy to rush in and miss a lot of stuff. I know Dan has noted in the past(when scouting) to cover every inch of ground. That is one way of slowing yourself down and seeing more sign.
I'll start a new thread on effective scouting so everyone can post ideas.

One thing I think really helps a guy not only scout, but understand deer better is to track whitetails in the snow. I know you (magicman) do that a lot... A guy really starts to almost understand what the deer is thinking when he gets good at tracking and reading sign. Tracking deer, hunting or not is some of the best scouting... A good tracker should know when a buck is looking to bed, whether he is coming from, or going to bed, or food, just based on tracks and actions of the deer.... The buck your tracking will also take you to those overlooked bedding areas that hold the best bucks...

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:34 pm

bump
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:59 pm

No doubt I scout more than I hunt. At least 5 hours a week if you count e scouting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:15 pm

e scounting + scouting yes way way more than I hunt. Woods time is probably 50/50. When you factor in vacation time during hunting season I really like that ratio. I still need to work on my in-season scouting but its a matter of free time, 3 young kids don't let you out of the house much so its either 100% tearing apart an area scouting or hunting hard based on past experiences and pressure with a mix of scouting. I'd love to spot check out a handful of areas before I pick a spot to hunt but sometimes there just isn't time for that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”