Big Rubs!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Dewey

Re: Big Rubs!

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:45 pm

BowtechHunting wrote:
Dewey wrote:I have posted most of these already but here they are.......
I know this is old post Dewey, but did you ever see what was making these monster rubs?? The 7th pic down has gotta be a giant, because his G's were hitting the backside of those poplar trees!

Seen a few nice bucks but none I can say for sure that made any of those rubs.

swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:46 pm

on this one the tree to the right had marks in it and the sapling to the left had gouges

heres a closer look

this is the largest and tallest rub ive ever found...its an old one that was reopened..the top of the rub is at the height of my chin...im 5ft 7inches

"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 pm

SA know thats a rub
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Here are a few more rubs I found today in a very secluded spot that is 3 miles from the nearest parking lot.

These are not huge rubs but I was surprised by the number of them in a fairly small area. If I shot a buck out here I would need to take a week of vacation to get him out. :shock:

I think if I shoot one out there unless he is a Booner he is walkin'!! :lol:

Found this one on a different island about 3 weeks ago. The buck made this rub right next to the tree I sat in about 3 weeks before!! The tree I sat in is directly behind the rub!! :o
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:43 am

Dewey wrote:Here are a few more rubs I found today in a very secluded spot that is 3 miles from the nearest parking lot.

These are not huge rubs but I was surprised by the number of them in a fairly small area. If I shot a buck out here I would need to take a week of vacation to get him out. :shock:

I think if I shoot one out there unless he is a Booner he is walkin'!! :lol:

Found this one on a different island about 3 weeks ago. The buck made this rub right next to the tree I sat in about 3 weeks before!! The tree I sat in is directly behind the rub!! :o

Wow Dewy, that's impressive! If it that far out there, I would stay all day and just take a deer cart with me. Just in case. Beats having to run back and forth. But then again, you have a big buck, bow, stand, pack and everything else...on second thought you might want to take a week off to get him out! :D
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Wow!!! All these pics of huge rubs is amaZing. The 1st pic on this thread i thought was a fake...... I have
never seen such huge rubs, didn't know that they got that big....................unreal.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:11 am

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Here is one I found this year. There was actually 4 more of similar size in the general area.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Here is one of my latest rubs I found on Sunday. This is in a staging area 20 yards from a mature bucks bed. This bedding area is in a cattail marsh on a small 30 yard x 40 yard island completely surrounded by cattails and water for at least 100 yards on all sides with a few trees big just enough for a stand. Earlier this year I set up 90 yards downwind of him and saw him rise from his bed and bed back down again but he never moved during daylight. I'm guessing he scores in the 130"-140" range. On Sunday the wind was perfect so I snuck into his bedding area hoping for a close shot but he was not bedding there and looks like he hasn't lately. Hope he is still alive and did not get killed during gun season. Anything is possible because I was up north rifle hunting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Rubs are a cool way to figure out how old a deer is that is making them, but most people get excited about the size of the tree and not the HEIGHT of the rub. The higher the mid-point of the rub, the bigger (usually older) the buck is. I'm 6'1" and if I find rubs that are waist high at the mid point, no matter how big in diameter the tree is, i get pumped cause I know it was made by a mature buck. Whereas I have seen trees 15-18" in diameter with rubs only at my knee level, until a good friend pointed out that the height was the important info, not the diameter of the tree, I would assume it must have been made by an old monster.........Dan has some good info on height of the rub= age of the deer.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Nothing like big rubs to get fired up for the season ! Post em if you got em!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
SouthernHunter

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Here's a pic were you can see how high the rub is off the ground.

You can see the height difference in this pic were a younger buck has been rubbing the smaller sapling on the right of the bigger rub.

Remember that the deer down here are not as big bodied as northern or mid western deer so they don't rub quite as high. They don't rub huge trees either so don't make fun of my dinky rubs. :lol:

Here's some smaller rubs for height comparison. You can see they start about 6" or so from the ground.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Good idea. Going through these definitely had me fired up. I'm sure I have a few to share. Just need to check for geotag first ;)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:02 pm

This one came up to my shoulders.

10 yards away

FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:18 am

Found these on our farm a couple weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”