Corn field/Funnel Trail Camera Placement

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Corn field/Funnel Trail Camera Placement

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I just bought another camera,4 now :mrgreen: and i plan on moving all 4 of them around to favious NEW locations.
2 are on acorn flats
1 is on a mock scrape
and the last and "topic" of this post is going to be on a corn field.
This is the first year that they have planted corn anywhere around my area that i could hunt so i am very,VERY hapopy for it to be cut and it be late season. Next year i will have corn on this property(same spot) and about 200 acres touching us next year full of corn!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ANYWAYS i have never set up a camera on a corn field and i am unsure of how to get the BEST,high QUALITY pictures.I do see alot of nice bucks having their pic taken on corn field edges.I am just second guessing myself saying it wont work :oops: Anyways what should i be looking for? The spot i think is gold is marked. Just put the camera facting the last row and catch whatever walks between the fence and the corn?? Should i find a path? Or just aim for the corner next to the funnel and hope??The yellow is deer paths and blue is a tiny stream with little to no water. Definately want to stay away from the beans lol Bad neighbors...Discuss! :D :D

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: Corn field/Funnel Trail Camera Placement

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:18 am

Anybody?? Lol :mrgreen:
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:25 am

Looks like a good spot to me, on that inside turn of the woods..... you could look for tracks to see where it looks like the most traffic is going in & out of the corn... goodluck !

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:40 am

So you dont own the beans, but what do you own? Not the best time of year to be putting out cams if your hoping to hunt soon. You dont really want to have your camera set up where your hunting, as the scent to check it will be spooking deer. Are there cows in the pasture, and do you own that pasture? Id make a mock scrape in the pasture on the edge of the corn (in that corner) and put the camera there. Just make sure the camera is pointing north or south, or up in a tree angled down. As far as having corn and being excited, my opinion would be the longer its standing, the more excited I would get. Once its cut you have about 2wks depending on the size of the field and the number of deer and then that field is picked clean and its no longer cover or food for you. Also while not mandatory, most farmers rotate crops each year. So you will have beans next year and your neighbors will have corn. Again thats not always the case, but typical of most farming practice.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 am

Yes sir crop rotation is a practice on both properties.Corn and beans there next year at this spot. Corn and beans at my home spot when it was corn and wheat before. Hunting paradise!! I know its a lil late but i don't plan on hunting that until late season most likely with snow on the ground. It should be a killer late season food source! 8-)
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Well I fear from your aerial that you could potentially risk some good hunting spots. Is there bedding in the strip of woods? I assume the blue line is a creek? If that is the case then I personally would utilize the creek to walk in so at least you don't leave ground scent. Then I would locate a trail going East and West between the corn and beans. I would hang the camera facing North or South 20-30 feet from the trail on a tree located at the edge of the creek so you never have to leave the creek and can capture anything that is utilizing either food source and it seems the least intrusive option to me especially this close to season. Hope that helps.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:48 am

I would say that you have the right idea if there are a lot of tracks there. Don't be affraid to dive in there if you dont plan on hunting it till late season. I'd put it out now and leave it till a rainy day in November to see whats on the property then staying out till you plan on hunting it.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 am

I would put it right where you got your ? mark as long as you don't think your neighbor will steal it... The Ent on your map I'm guessing is the entrance to your property? Place the camera facing North or East right in the inside corner of the field so it is catching the whole West/South edge of the cornfield. Find an over hanging branch on that West edge and use a hand rake to make a good sized mock scarpe = simply open up the ground under a head height branch of a tree... make the scrape about 4ftx4ft... just open it up to bare dirt and deer will start using it or at least stop to sniff it... you can even in it yourself if you feel the urge (seriously). The reason I say to place it in the inside corner is that I don't think I would hunt that inside corner... as mentioned already I would use the creek to access from the South and set up right off the creek. How will this be an awesome late season food source? The corn will likely be picked by gun season in Missouri and deer will utilize it for maybe a couple of weeks afterward until everything is picked over :?:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:49 am

I would give that spot a hunt a lot sooner than late season... If nothing happens then add the camera.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Think it would be a good funnel even though the property enterance is a few yards away? I have never hunted it, but have pushed it in rifle season
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 pm

kwaldeier wrote:Think it would be a good funnel even though the property enterance is a few yards away? I have never hunted it, but have pushed it in rifle season

aH... Missed that. If your walking thru there constantly than ya, guess that wouldn't be the greatest place to hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”