Sheds close to beds ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Sheds close to beds ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:13 pm

I found a large shed a few weeks ago,where I believe is very close to the bucks bedding area.I am wanting to get back in there and find the other side.I,m just wondering how much is too much,poking around in there. I,ve searched high and low ,the rest of the area with nothing .Last year he dropped both sides withing 75 yards of eachother.Will I be hurting my chances of killing him this fall, if i go in there looking for that shed ? What would you guys do ?

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: Sheds close to beds ?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 am

Ill take a stab at this one..... I think more than likely, he will be back this fall. The big problem is educating the deer. He is gonna be watching how your coming in there, where you are and where your not walking. He is gonna learn what a human sounds like so that when your sneaking up close to his bed with the bow, he knows its not safe. Like andre says, if you do go back in, make lots of noise so that the deer thinks that you always make that much noise. That way when you sneak up quietly on him during the season, he will think your just another deer. $.02

You also said that you "believe" the shed was near the bedding area. If your not for sure, i would make going in there and finding the exact bed my #1 priority. Who knows maybe you will find the shed. I did the same thing last season. Then when the season came, i realized i was not educated enough about the deer i was hunting
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:39 am

PredatorTC wrote: I think more than likely, he will be back this fall. The big problem is educating the deer. He is gonna be watching how your coming in there, where you are and where your not walking. He is gonna learn what a human sounds like so that when your sneaking up close to his bed with the bow, he knows its not safe. Like andre says, if you do go back in, make lots of noise so that the deer thinks that you always make that much noise. That way when you sneak up quietly on him during the season, he will think your just another deer. $.02

You also said that you "believe" the shed was near the bedding area. If your not for sure, i would make going in there and finding the exact bed my #1 priority. Who knows maybe you will find the shed. I did the same thing last season. Then when the season came, i realized i was not educated enough about the deer i was hunting
Well said PTC.... I don't think another time in there will do a lot of harm as long as it's soon. Get in, find the bed, hopefully the shed, and a place to ambush him, and get out!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:42 am

I agree with Ptredator... 8-)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:44 am

I agree! Get in there, find his exact bed, see what he sees and smells, pick out a tree, determine how high you can safely get away with hunting, determine what wind you will need for the buck to feel safe coming out, do any trimming and get out! You will not be hurting your chances only helping cuz you will know exactly where he'll be come season! If you find the other half during all of this, BONUS! ;) Good Luck!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 am

I killed my highest scoring buck in his bed by crawling up to it and shooting him. I knew where the bed was by scouting. The only shed antler I have from that buck I found when I found his bed. It was lying in the bed.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:32 pm

I would settle with the one shed, leave the area rest, go in there in the fall and kill him ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”