Red glow from IR cameras

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Red glow from IR cameras

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:26 pm

What are you thoughs on the red glow that most IR cameras put off? DO you put your camera on photo so that it only glows for a quick second or do you put it on video and not worry about the deer being spooked from the red glow. DO you put it high in a tree so that it is not noticed so well by the deer.

I just bought two Moultrie M-100 cameras and i like them but the glow is so damn bright. I was thinking about putting some tape over some of the emitters to break the glow up and see if it helps kinda like reconyx has. I would not mind if the photo got dimmer because it is so bright anyway.

Here are some of the many vids that i have of deer being spooked. This is form my spypoint
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0CdvzZRUrE[/bbvideo]

How do you feel about the glow?

Ack

Re: Red glow from IR cameras

Unread postby Ack » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:11 pm

I had the same reaction with my X6c last winter. I even had a group of does run back on forth several times in front of the camera looking at the glow, but they never really ran off. It's hard to say how a mature buck will react to the glow....it seems as though they all handle cameras differently. He may see it as enough of a threat to not use the area again....it's hard to say. These new black flash cameras look interesting for this reason, but I haven't really read up on them much.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:16 am

I've seen some bad reactions to the red glow; however, I find the deer are a lot more tolerant to the red glow than a click/clunk when some IR cameras take pictures.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:37 am

Well, ya, I think it spooks them some...... but a couple of the things that I have really taken to heart since joining the "Beast" is, 1) Your scent you leave checking your camera's does more damage than anything, and 2) if the camera's are on the field edges instead of right in the woods where you hunt, the deer will tolerate the camera's a little more.....

So even if they get spooked a little, if the camera is NOT right where you are directly hunting, you should be ok..... my .02
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:39 am

I've seen some bad reactions to the red glow; however, I find the deer are a lot more tolerant to the red glow than a click/clunk when some IR cameras take pictures.

X2 Friend of mine has a truth 46 and they are known to have that clunk noise. ALL his night pics are of deer looking at the camera. His pictures went from lots to fewer to fewer and towards the end he was having pics of deer running past the camera. This was on a farm lane with no bait, and he would drive right up to the gate and then check the camera. Deer would be used to scent in that area. My advice, hang the cameras up 10ft or so and point them down. I have been doing this even with white flash cameras and have yet to have a picture where the deer are staring at the camera. When I have them at waist high, I get deer with their nose right on the cam. I do not use the typical IR cameras you buy at the store, mine are home built. I don't get that red glow, just a blip of red.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:10 am

kenn1320 wrote:My advice, hang the cameras up 10ft or so and point them down.

X2
slipp

Unread postby slipp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:02 am

I tend to see more of a issue with them spooking from flash cameras compared to the infrared. If you want a true no flash, you have to go with a Reconyx HC600. The red lights tend to have more of a curiousity spook to them compared to a flash the makes them jump. Just something you have to expect from using them. Some deer react more than others.
GIVEM THE BLADE....
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:44 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Well, ya, I think it spooks them some...... but a couple of the things that I have really taken to heart since joining the "Beast" is, 1) Your scent you leave checking your camera's does more damage than anything, and 2) if the camera's are on the field edges instead of right in the woods where you hunt, the deer will tolerate the camera's a little more.....

So even if they get spooked a little, if the camera is NOT right where you are directly hunting, you should be ok..... my .02

X2 Good post.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:52 am

i always thought it was better than the traditional flash cams, like czabs said its less of a startle....i would rather spend less and put IR's that glowed on field edges and funnels than spend a fortune on a true IR and have it closer to a core area spreading my scent around
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:09 am

ir cameras that just take pics are all right, but ive never seen deer react like that :shock:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:09 pm

ir cameras that just take pics are all right, but ive never seen deer react like that :shock:

I need to find the video of the doe that trys to run and falls down. She looks like she just saw Dan or something. :D
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:22 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:Well, ya, I think it spooks them some...... but a couple of the things that I have really taken to heart since joining the "Beast" is, 1) Your scent you leave checking your camera's does more damage than anything, and 2) if the camera's are on the field edges instead of right in the woods where you hunt, the deer will tolerate the camera's a little more.....

agreed 100%!

That's pretty much exactly what I've learned since watching the dvds and joining the forum...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:33 pm

I do not use cameras, but deer running away from one cannot be a good thing.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:15 pm

I have a couple bushnell trophy cams. One is over a mineral lick and all I can think is that the IR must make a noise of some sort because most of my night pics are the deer looking at the cam. They don't seem too spooked just stare at the camera.

On a side note...I wish it would snow I'm already anxious for the late season thanks for the vid PTC!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:20 am

Good Post!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”