New Dilemma...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

New Dilemma...

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:12 am

bow season in WI is coming at us pretty quick here now. I have a new dilemma. This year I will spend almost all of my time hunting mobile/portable whatever you would like to call it. I want to pull my permanent stands they are in some good spots but I'd rather hunt those trees out of my quieter LW when the wind is right. The one spot I have to hunt is a 70acre bean field with 15acres of woods. The property line is half woods/have bean field and bumps up to another 10 or so acres of tag alder swamp and CRP grass on the neighbors. The deer bed there. We hunt the field edge of the beans because the deer dont travel the woods and its as close and we can physically get to the beds without tresspassing. Anyhow I have a ladder stand up there and a Loc on brand hang on there. I want to go out there and pull them and prep two trees nearby for my portable stand and my buddy to film out of together. Is this going to affect my opening day hunt? THe deer are pounding the beans we were out there 2 weeks ago and jumped about 10deer including a good buck well before dark. I'm hoping to pull the stands and do my pruning on sunday. Also want to put a trail cam on the field edge and pick it up when I'm passing through the area in 2 weeks. Just for a short surveilance to see the potential of the deer we are after...would I be better off leaving my permanent stands and just hunting around them?

Part of the reason I want to pull them is because I see them having a cash value and this is the time of year people are looking to purchase treestands..

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Re: New Dilemma...

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 am

honistly i have have the same problem back woods, i just leave all my stands up and, when and if the wind isnt right for the stands i use my lone wolf its always nice to have stands preset thought;)
my 2 cents ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:44 am

I hear ya but the one is an aluminum loc on brand stand but its held on with a chain, the chain obviously isn't quiet and its uncomfortable. The other is a ladder stand against a huge oak tree and the more I think about it the more I realize its just to open to sit in the deer will see me from across the field...the stands gotta go. I can sell them now or wait til after season and pull them I suppose.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:45 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I hear ya but the one is an aluminum loc on brand stand but its held on with a chain, the chain obviously isn't quiet and its uncomfortable. The other is a ladder stand against a huge oak tree and the more I think about it the more I realize its just to open to sit in the deer will see me from across the field...the stands gotta go. I can sell them now or wait til after season and pull them I suppose.

its your hunt do what you got to do man 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:51 am

You already bumped the buck once... I would be leery of doing it again. But if thats beans the deer might change patterns by season anyway. If it were me I would stay away from there or get it during a heavy rain.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:51 am

if it were me i would postpone pulling the stands this year, especially if your seeing a good buck in there with 10 other deer.....i once filmed a guy above his ladderstand from my lone wolf, i just brought the alpha and 1 stick, climbed up the ladder and hung above his head, worked great! don't know if this is possible by you.
Last edited by RaisedByWolves on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:53 am

what if you pulled the stands after getting a couple hunts in....there will still be plenty of available buyers in oct. looking for gun stands
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:01 am

The plan with the ladder stand crossed my mind but its just too open. Its right on the field edge but I can get into a couple nice hickories back in the shadows 5 or so yards of the field edge and it will work much nicer. The hang on was more of a concern to pull. We hung it in a multi-stemmed willow tree in a strip of brush that divides the field. It makes a small field in the back right a long the swamp the deer bed in. They are extremely comfortable back there and its an awesome spot to hunt. The tree is perfect and we made the stand work in a pinch. This is my buddies land and we plan to hunt and film together. So it would be nice to get up that tree with out LW's and ditch that crappy hang on.

We only bumped the buck off a food source didn't intrude on his bed or anything is that still a concern? I've shined plenty of deer in the same spots in fields multiple nights in a row that take off running when the light hits them. The next night they are right back feeding isn't it kind of the same concept?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 am

With all the hot weather I still have all of my permenant stands to set/check/trim.

I would rather have things set the way I like and where I want it.
Bumping deer is a chance that you take.
I make no effort to be quiet and try to get an area done in a day.

Power pole saw makes selective trimming easier. :D

I had a stand set since 09, last season I had a guy hunting here and he sat there in the AM. Had alot of does and a few decent bucks come thru but some branches were in the way.

My son and I went in there late evening and ran a power pole saw, communicated pretty loudly (son in stand while I cut).

He shot a mature doe and good buck the next AM, and saw as many deer as the day before.

Ideally I would not do that, but if things are not the way you want the situation may call for you to do things you would rather not do.

Hope it works out.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:what if you pulled the stands after getting a couple hunts in....there will still be plenty of available buyers in oct. looking for gun stands

I like this idea! A lot of guys don't like the heat and don't even think about hunting until Oct anyway.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:31 pm

headgear wrote:
RaisedByWolves wrote:what if you pulled the stands after getting a couple hunts in....there will still be plenty of available buyers in oct. looking for gun stands

I like this idea! A lot of guys don't like the heat and don't even think about hunting until Oct anyway.

tats why they miss out on sep
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:52 pm

I would wait. Dont risk bumping him again.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:16 pm

dan wrote:If it were me I would stay away from there or get it during a heavy rain.

this ^
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Ack wrote:
dan wrote:If it were me I would stay away from there or get it during a heavy rain.

this ^

Its too far away to just run out there during a rain. I was going to do it sunday as I will be passing through the area. But after reading the responses I think I will just leave the stands until we get a few hunts in as everyone has suggested
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:06 pm

We only bumped the buck off a food source didn't intrude on his bed or anything is that still a concern? I've shined plenty of deer in the same spots in fields multiple nights in a row that take off running when the light hits them. The next night they are right back feeding isn't it kind of the same concept?

Well that depends... Are you hunting near the food source you bumped then from? Was it part of there daytime movement? If your stands are near the edge of the field you bumped them on I would think that it will have an effect on future daylight visits...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”