Using record books to decide where to hunt.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you use record book entries to decide where to hunt?

YES
22%
NO
78%

Total votes: 27
Dewey

Using record books to decide where to hunt.

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 am

Wondering how many here use P & Y, B & C or state record books to decide where to hunt?

Personally I use the Wisconsin Buck & Bear Club entry book to pinpoint certain areas that produce more trophies when hunting outside my home area. Like the saying goes "you can't kill them if they are not there". Some areas of WI are way better than others but trophies can be killed pretty much anywhere in the state.

Kinda surprised in the other poll that was going on how many here don't even enter their deer in the books. Makes me wonder how accurate the books really are now considering this.

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Using record books to decide where to hunt.

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:39 am

Yes and no. I hunt KS cause its known for producing record book bucks, but I don't hunt the part of the state the produces the most entries. I think a lot of people do that and what was good last year might be over run this year.
On a similar thought, when my friend first went out of state, he used outfitters to find good hunting. No he didn't pay to hunt, he called up outfitters and acted interested in booking a hunt. He then asked for references of previous happy clients. He then called those clients and again acted interested and got them to describe the area they were hunting. He then went and knocked on doors in that area and obtained permission to hunt for free. That way of "scouting" can be good and bad. He said some outfits don't care about tomorrow and they will shoot every buck they can. He said those areas can be over hunted.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:42 am

I voted no... But I met a guy once who told me he studied the record book for guys in the countys he hunts in that had multiple big bucks and lived in the county. He would then look them up and find where they lived and try and get access to the surrounding farms / properties. Kinda makes a guy think twice about putting them in the books...
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:46 am

dan wrote:I voted no... But I met a guy once who told me he studied the record book for guys in the countys he hunts in that had multiple big bucks and lived in the county. He would then look them up and find where they lived and try and get access to the surrounding farms / properties. Kinda makes a guy think twice about putting them in the books...

yep

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:28 am

I voted no... but I can tell you where Mark and Terry Drury's farms are and various other "Pro Staff" big names hunt. I think Dor mentioned it before, if I can get in the general vicinity it is a bonus. These guys are managing 1000s of acres and eventually bucks start to spill over onto surrounding properties. Then those guys start to get pickier and it is kind of a domino effect. It can take 10+ yrs for this to happen but I have personally seen it does happen.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:31 am

Guys surround Andraes farm waiting for one to step out...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 am

dan wrote:I voted no... But I met a guy once who told me he studied the record book for guys in the countys he hunts in that had multiple big bucks and lived in the county. He would then look them up and find where they lived and try and get access to the surrounding farms / properties. Kinda makes a guy think twice about putting them in the books...

Obviously this is not what I had in mind when I was referring to record books. Books like Buck & Bear Club records break everything down and gives average rack score entered for each county. This gives you a starting point and then you can apply some scouting to these areas.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 am

Dewey wrote:

Obviously this is not what I had in mind when I was referring to record books. Books like Buck & Bear Club records break everything down and gives average rack score entered for each county. This gives you a starting point and then you can apply some scouting to these areas.

Sorry to get off topic Dewey :oops:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:31 am

Dewey wrote:Wondering how many here use P & Y, B & C or state record books to decide where to hunt?

Personally I use the Wisconsin Buck & Bear Club entry book to pinpoint certain areas that produce more trophies when hunting outside my home area. Like the saying goes "you can't kill them if they are not there". Some areas of WI are way better than others but trophies can be killed pretty much anywhere in the state.

Kinda surprised in the other poll that was going on how many here don't even enter their deer in the books. Makes me wonder how accurate the books really are now considering this.

Your right the books are only as accurate as who lists their bucks. There's counties I know of that don't get 1/2 their kills listed in the books because of costs and the people don't care to get in the books.

Look at the populations for the counties also. Less populated mean less people and less money which in turn means less book entries alot of times the less populated counties are a little poorer and people don't spend the money on the entry fees. Less populated could also be because of cropfields which could give you an idea of food sources.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:07 am

JRM6868 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Wondering how many here use P & Y, B & C or state record books to decide where to hunt?

Your right the books are only as accurate as who lists their bucks. There's counties I know of that don't get 1/2 their kills listed in the books because of costs and the people don't care to get in the books.

Look at the populations for the counties also. Less populated mean less people and less money which in turn means less book entries alot of times the less populated counties are a little poorer and people don't spend the money on the entry fees. Less populated could also be because of cropfields which could give you an idea of food sources.

I agree!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 am

Use them some, but, that shows where the hotspot WAS. As you all know, things change, sometimes right before your eyes.

You need to be more cutting edge, and seek out the good spots first, before the masses know. Pike county Ill is an example. It's still good, but it's over for that spot. Who wants to go there now? And overpay, to go on overhunted ground?

Look for states that are trending with more deer, with better age structures. And states that people aren't talking about.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 am

looking at record books dosent scout for you ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:08 pm

i voted no....When i look at public land or potential private peices i plan to hunt i usually look at deer density's and age structure. Like Spysar said you have to find out those honey holes before the masses and they are always changing
When better is possible, good is never good enough
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:39 pm

And states that people aren't talking about.

Hey Spy, nobody is talking about Michigan. I can take 1 guy hunting on 80acres of super farm country, wanna trade a hunt? :mrgreen:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:13 am

I voted no. I hunt mostly public land or private land that is open to the public and I try to find the public land that borders land that is managed for bigger bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”