Brutal Scout (7-24)

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Brutal Scout (7-24)

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:37 am

Went out to scout my public land today because it was just a TAD bit cooler than it has been.I think it was like 88 when i was out there and felt like 96?Firstly i would like to say that i hate my bots more than words could ever express right now...The back side of the boot(heel i guess rubbed down to the hard rubber..So for 3 miles i had hard rubber rubbing against my heel/Achilles tendon... :evil: :evil: Anyways i found as many pairs of panties as i did trail cameras and good trails lol :shock: :lol: 2 trail cameras,both mineral licks and 2 trails. Both trails were leading to one mineral lick just very spread out. I was out there for 2 hours with a camera,GPS,phone(obviously) and 1 bottle of water....The 1 bottle of water was my first mistake :oops: lol.Basically all the info i learned today was what fields touch the public land and that the UA works pretty good!There were no food plots that i could see and all the spots marked on the map had a trail going by it :? Good for scouting but bad for hunting.I did however have to roll my sleeves up though because it was bugging me. All in all it is not looking so good :( Updating my map...

What kind of camera is this?

Trophy rock at the 2 trail place. The trails going in were in some pretty thick stuff so i thought i had found a bedding area....but no :(

Not sure what this is? But there was ALOT of it mixed in with ALOT of weeds throughout....

Sweat...Jeans were soaked...but more so around my boots...

Zap

Re: Brutal Scout (7-24)

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:41 am

Too hot here to walk in da woods.......
I hope you had a good time.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:13 am

I know the feeling. I wanted to scout, but had to watch my 6yr old daughter. Well I said to her, lets go scouting and got her ready and headed out. It had just rained and the area had a swamp with 6ft tall grasses. I just looked at my log and I carried her piggy back thru that mess for just over 1hr. We both were soaked to say the least, but like Dan says, hard work is what gets big bucks. She had lots of fun with me but several times I felt myself falling backwards only to find out she was hanging onto a cattail trying to break it off. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 am

That plant looks like rye grass.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:55 am

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:21 am

I see TC on your map twice, what does that stand for? Did you track your route with the gps, would be neat to see exactly where you went. Did you jump any deer? Find any beds, or buck rubs? Any chance you walked the edge of the lake or the farm fields to see what size tracks are in the area?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:02 pm

I have looked at the aerial photo, read your description of the hunting area and thought long and hard about what the best strategy is. I would definately advise setting up a few cameras where you found the panties. :D
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Zap wrote:I have looked at the aerial photo, read your description of the hunting area and thought long and hard about what the best strategy is. I would definately advise setting up a few cameras where you found the panties. :D

I second that!!!!! LOL :lol:
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:25 pm

camera looks like a wild game innovation
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:51 pm

TC for trail camera and no beds or jumped deer....And the panties were on the water line. Only doe tracks and thats it!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:22 pm

What did you find for old rubs and scrapes?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Nothing at all...I honestly didnt stay to the outside of the W fence and was so tired i skipped alot of the N fence....
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Gardner Swamp wrote:camera looks like a wild game innovation

X2
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 am

At first glance,I would say this property is too easily accessable from any direction and will likely have lots of competition. However, if it is real close to home it is great for convenience. Personally, if I were looking at this area (in July) the first thing I would do is walk all the crop edges (even across the road to the south) and see if there are mature buck tracks. If there are, then FOR SURE there is some over looked secure buck bedding somewhere on the property. At this time of year it would be difficult to find that bedding. If there are big tracks heading into those fields to the south you could set up real close to the road. This could indicate the big buck is using a bedding position very close to that road ( likely the only area not visited by people).
One other idea would be to scour all the arials you can find of this property and see if you can pick out some isolated pocket of mature oaks. If such a spot exists you could probably hunt it very early in the season while the other hunters are waiting for the heat and bugs to go away.
Good sources for the pictures would be
-Bing Maps( Birdseye view)
-Goggle Earth (click on the clock face in the tool bar and see all the diferrent years photos were taken of your area)
-search your county land records (Ex. "Smith County GIS). That will access their interactive mapping tool and usually has various years of high quality photos.
If you can ID some mature oaks,plug them in to your gps and plan to sneak in for a hunt.
By the way, I applaud your enthusiasm on getting it done in the heat of summer!
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:32 am

Thanks Klem! I just wanted to scout as much as possible this time on the inner areas and then planned on following the fences on the N and W sides. Was not much for trails coming out of the corn field from what i saw :?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”