Record book scat?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JRM6868
The Terminator

Re: Record book scat?

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:29 am

Another thread that just went to crap! :lol:

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:01 pm

ZAP, I hope you didn't get poop stains on your lighter.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:03 pm

I once found a pile of loose deer turds in some thick mountain laurels on the side of a ridge.

Without exaggeration it looked like someone dumped a gallon paint pail full of terrs into one pile on the ground.....I've never seen anything like it before and haven't seen anything like it since. I wish I still had the pics, but they're on my old blackberry.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:04 pm

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:32 pm

:mrgreen: Good "poop"!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:44 am

I was watching a mature buck the other morning, witnessed him take a dump. So much for the clump/log and bucks theory. While I didn't walk up and look at it, my view made it pretty clear he was dropping pellets for the most part. Something else I found interesting was him scratching his hind leg with his antler. They must be somewhat rigid by now, and not sensitive to the touch. He stroked his entire leg about 6 times. It was August 1 when I watched this.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Not so sure about the big turd= big deer. I think my 4 year olds poop is bigger than mine :D
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 pm

This topic literally begs for humor... :mrgreen:

I have found there are certain aspects of deer droppings that can indicate a mature animal. I'm specifically referring to the "average pellet length" in a pile of typical buck droppings. Maybe its just my hunting areas of the Upper and Lower Peninsula of Michigan and Ontario, Canada- but there's no doubt in my mind that "normally" the bigger the whitetail body size the longer the average pellet length in a pile of droppings. As always, there are no absolutes in deer hunting- tall and large rubs / wide tracks / long pellet lengths do not "guarantee" a nice buck left them behind.

I have previously referred to Dr. Nordberg's reasoning for clumped buck droppings in the fall, more specifically to his statement that seasonal stress on the bucks... the rut, hormonal shift, hectic to no feeding, tremendous traveling and increased exertion- leads to the clumped droppings.

Just being honest here, if I come across a pile of clumped deer droppings in the fall with an average pellet length over three-quarters of an inch- I WILL be putting in more time trying to locate additional big buck sign and will NOT discard the discovery and move on.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:This topic literally begs for humor... :mrgreen:

I have found there are certain aspects of deer droppings that can indicate a mature animal. I'm specifically referring to the "average pellet length" in a pile of typical buck droppings. Maybe its just my hunting areas of the Upper and Lower Peninsula of Michigan and Ontario, Canada- but there's no doubt in my mind that "normally" the bigger the whitetail body size the longer the average pellet length in a pile of droppings. As always, there are no absolutes in deer hunting- tall and large rubs / wide tracks / long pellet lengths do not "guarantee" a nice buck left them behind.

I have previously referred to Dr. Nordberg's reasoning for clumped buck droppings in the fall, more specifically to his statement that seasonal stress on the bucks... the rut, hormonal shift, hectic to no feeding, tremendous traveling and increased exertion- leads to the clumped droppings.

Just being honest here, if I come across a pile of clumped deer droppings in the fall with an average pellet length over three-quarters of an inch- I WILL be putting in more time trying to locate additional big buck sign and will NOT discard the discovery and move on.

Totally agree Singing Bridge!! 8-)
I was reading Dr. Ken Nordberg's book Whitetail Hunters Almanac 2nd Edition and in it he says" when you find droppings 3/4"-1" in length think trophy class buck"
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 am

Totally agree Singing Bridge!! 8-)
I was reading Dr. Ken Nordberg's book Whitetail Hunters Almanac 2nd Edition and in it he says" when you find droppings 3/4"-1" in length think trophy class buck"

Who has a pic of pellets that big? Cant recall ever finding any even close to that size.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 am

Ken, I'm not real big on showing my cards for bucks I am currently hunting... but here goes-

These are droppings from a lower peninsula / heavy pressure public land Michigan heavyweight that is alive and well. His average pellet length is 3/4" of an inch up to 1" in length. These really thin pellets were made this spring, he was nutritionally stressed due to the time of the year, IMO. He has heavyweight tracks / droppings / beds, and what got me fired up the most was the average height of his rubs from last fall. They are topping out neck high on me, the tallest rubs I have ever located in this heavily pressured area. I jumped him from his bed once this spring and got a good look... he is a beast.

These next droppings are from an Ontario monarch, and average over an inch in length. They are clumped and during the rut periods. I had two close encounters with him during archery season and was not able to close the deal. He had a five finger wide, walking track. My hand is well over a foot above the track, which is in a scrape and shows the overlap of his front and rear walking prints. I do not know if he is still alive:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”