Public Land Ideas

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Public Land Ideas

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:16 am

I mentioned starting to hunt public land in the future in another thread. It just opens up more land to have access too.Also as to keep me from over hunting my private land and hopefully help me become a better beast!I plan on walking around a little bit tomorrow during the day to see where things are!My first scouting experience where i have no knowledge of the area! 8-) I am kind of excited now lol

Highlights-
320 Acres total in a square shape
70 acre lake
Food plots and warm season grasses(Unsure on where they are)
The NW and NE Look like good spots just by looking at it a little. It does seems to have ALOT of potential just by looking at the maps.
I am not sure on archery pressure but in gun season this place gets hammered.

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: Public Land Ideas

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Anyone :)
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 am

I would do some glassing to see where the deer are feeding, and find if there are any white oaks.

Generally speaking, from my experience, the deer like to bed close to the water. With a west wind they will bed on the west side of the lake so they can smell everything in the woods and have the water as protection. With other winds accordingly. Also, in the evening, the thermals drop and they can wind the whole hill above them.

Also, its usually really thick down near the lake. Early Nov, the bucks might be crusing the upwind lake edge in the evening, the ridge tops in the morning.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:35 am

Also, finger at SW of lake makes a great funnel between the crop field and lake. Looks like a tight pinch point for rut.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Good Idea!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:24 am

Double dots are areas I really like on the aerial, dots are potential spots, circles are areas I would check out on foot and decide.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:33 am

Thanks alot BUcky! :)
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:34 am

Aerials are not my forte, but I would have to agree that Bucky has a places marked that drew my eye as well. As mentioned, you gotta get out and do some glassing and see where deer are moving right now. Hopefully you're able to hunt mobile and be able to adjust on the fly, on public land that's the only way to go in my personal opinion.

On the north end of the lake (right side of photo) there's a creek coming into the lake, I think that'd be a fantastic area to be as there will likely be 1-3 very major trail crossings up in there. That's the place that jumps out the most to me.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:48 am

Drainage into the lake for sure..........
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:50 am

Thanks Muddy and Zap! I plan on getting out as much as possible and scouting and looking around once it is not 100 degrees!
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:37 am

Do you have access to a boat or canoe? There are some ideal spots but you would blow everything out getting to it unless you had water front access via boat.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 am

Keep in mind some of these are the same as Buckys, I keyed in on small water ponds, drainage points, pinches, field entrance to crop, and trying to keep the lake at your back in some situations
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 am

Is there any public access on the west side?(top of map) Or the south side?

It looks like an easy trail heading from the east side into the north side.

The first thing I would look for is easy public access. Those spots with easy access I would look last. (but not rule it out totally)

Are there crops in the private land to the west? I would check into that next.

Are there mast trees (oaks, or other nuts, or apples)?

Like others have said, there will be a trail across the inlet somewhere, probably the first shallow spot.

Is boating in the cards? If it were me, that's how I'd access the west side, especially if there is no other access besides walking around the lake.

This is a place where you will have to study the people using it as much as you would study the deer. You have to be willing to do something that others can't or won't do. Like walking far, or using a boat.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 am

I just did a search around Mayville and found hunting access in these areas. Mozingo Lake, Nodaway County Community Lake, Bilby Ranch Conservation Area and Tarkio Prairie Conservation Area are all within a short drive from Maryville.

My gut feeling is this area is to close to Mayville, but I have to remember your talking MO and not MI. :lol: If I wanted to just shoot a deer, that area to the NW where the others have said the creeks are is where Id go to find deer. You also have woods that go West that connect this area with the private land. I sent you a pm, but that was before I looked at this thread. That info still applies, but this area looks over run from what I see. The East side has trails its used so much, and as Spy said, if you had a boat, the West shore would be worth looking at. Walking around that lake to hunt is going to send deer running around that lake and any decent buck is going to stay hidden till dark IMHO.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Right now I am just looking for idea of places to scout.Mostly to weed out the obvious bad ones to save myself some time. Like i said once its not so hot i plan on finding trails,trees,crops and where the deer are most often.There is a corn field to the west of the SW pinch point. I figure that will be a killer spot in the late season.I dont have a boat :( But if i did then that would greaten my odds by a lot.Less of a walk and more of a sneak attack. It does seem that most of the good spots would have to be accessed(by foot) through some other good spots :? This one is closest to maryville and closer to me right now than my private spots 8-) The only access there is is the 2 drives on the East Side next to the highway. I plan on marking up a map with as much info as i can after the fact!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”