New Property

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DevinJD2007
500 Club

New Property

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Well I just picked up another property to hunt this year it has a subdivision on the backside with a major highway on the front side with all the crop fields to the south being corn this year (In Yellow). I will not be able to scout it or set up trail cams in there either so that is out of the equation. So my question to you guys is how would you hunt this property? It is in farm country with a mix of a block of timber and swamp. The property is outlined in black in the aerial. I would post a topo but every single one I looked at showed nothing as far as any sort of elevation change so this property is completely flat according to the topo maps I looked at... :roll: My question to you guys is how would you hunt this property? Where do you see obvious buck bedding spots that I should key in on. I have watched both Dan's video's multiple times and have a good idea of where I should start out at. Just want to see if you guys find anything I may of skipped over. Thanks

DevinJD2007
500 Club

Re: New Property

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Well the part that was supposed to be corn didn't outline in yellow like it was supposed to but all the fields to the South are planted in corn this year.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Doesn't look very big timber wise to me... how much acreage? I would take a quick stroll thru the timber but nothing really jumps out at me. Is it something you been trying to access (big bucks in the city) or just happen to gain access?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:39 am

There isn't much timber on it the total acreage is 84 acres. But I got onto this property through a buddy he has taken a 170+ the last two years on it so I know it holds big bucks or at least they travel through it. It's right on the outskirts of a city so it has some big potential only because there are parks around it that are unhuntable... So like I said im not sure if they are just traveling it during the rut or if its actually holding them because both years he shot them during the rut...
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 am

Are those tree's to south and south east of the pond up on a bit of a hill ? I'm wondering if you could intersect them right between the edge of woods on left side as they are coming to corn..... Or, inbetween the woods and water....
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:11 am

You must have a nice buddy to let you hunt a property he shot two 170"+ off... :shock:

There is some kinda pinch in that timber, walk it in about 30-60 min you should have a good spot or two picked out
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:09 am

Unfortunately my picture editing ain't working at the moment... :roll:

Look to the S.W. corner above the pond on the neighbors property there is a brush line coming up on an angle... I would expect that to be one of those over looked spots a big buck would bed...
Another one would be in the N.E. Corner where it looks like a swampy area buts up against the property. If I were to guess without scouting the best spots around that woodlot they would be the funnel between the big woods and the pond, and the inner transition where mature woods meet submature ( dark colored trees on map meet light colored... )

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”