Tip your in the wrong area?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Tip your in the wrong area?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:53 am

Dan while I was walking some trails in some thick cover last weekend, something you said in the Marsh video popped into my head. You said "generally small bucks and does" are not welcome in a big bucks staging area. I was finding areas along the trails that had mud and tracks were easy to see. I found myself looking at each area and when I would see fawn tracks and small tracks in general, I felt there must not be a mature deer using this immediate area. Is this an accurate assumption Dan? Another way of looking at it, when I saw those small tracks and no large ones, I didn't slow down and focus on my surroundings as much as I did when I couldn't find tracks and was searching for likely bedding. I'm not talking blowing out of the area, just advancing 30yds or so till I found another area on the trail to check for tracks. I never did find any big tracks, but if I had, that would have indicated to me to slow down and start figuring out why that deer was in that area and if I was close to his bedding. Is this the right way to think about things when scouting?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Tip your in the wrong area?

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Good question Ken... Hard to answer cause I have seen does and small deer bed near big bucks, or use the same bed on occasion when he is not there. But in general, I find that small deer or other deer generally keep there distance from buck bedding areas especially in the time frame around the rut...
Guess a more fine tuned answer is I would not completely over look an area just based on there being small deer sign, but it would make me leery that I need to move. I would not hunt an area if all I found was little deer sign despite the amount of sign.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”