Correlating trail cameras with weather conditions

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you try to correlate some sort of pattern with trail cam pics?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Depends
9%

Total votes: 11
Beason
500 Club

Correlating trail cameras with weather conditions

Unread postby Beason » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:20 am

Does anyone correlate trail cam pics with weather conditions? Example: you jot down all weather/moon conditions off of ScoutLookweather.com on a "deer hunting only" calendar and then when you switch out your SD cards, you try to gain insight on whether the deer prefer a certain condition? Or is there a site where you can look up past weather conditions? If this is a double post, just paste the link below:)

dreaming bucks

Re: Correlating trail cameras with weather conditions

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:28 am

If I get daytime pics, I usually check and see what the moon chart said for that day..... I have only been watching that the past couple years, and I have found that the moonphase does play an impact on this..... I'm going to really watch for that again this year... But other than that, No, I really don't pay too close of attention to Barometric pressure or wind direction.... maybe I should, but I have yet to do that.....
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:40 am

Think indianahunter was ding something like this with his and others daytime pics.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Hit up wunderground.com they have weather history that includes all data

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:18 am

DropTyne wrote:Hit up wunderground.com they have weather history that includes all data

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

AWESOME! Thanks Droptyne.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:24 am

I try to match up fresh buck tracks or trail cam pics (I only have a couple cams) with wind direction for when the sign was created... this helps with indicating preferred bedding for a buck I'm after under certain conditions.

I know many Beasts are having great success with moon charts and a predicted late return to bedding... but on public property with extreme pressure these conditions have the bucks passing me well before daylight and plopping down in their bed... if they don't they are dead, it really is that simple. Hard to believe? You may want to reevaluate how serious the pressure is in your area... it gets really intense around here.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:16 am

We get some pretty heavy pressure here too Bridge... I think the morning moon phase needs you to give it a little more credit. What I see4 under pressure is the buck getting back in gray light or just after legal shooting light on the right moon phase when the moon says morning feeding.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:45 am

dan wrote:We get some pretty heavy pressure here too Bridge... I think the morning moon phase needs you to give it a little more credit. What I see4 under pressure is the buck getting back in gray light or just after legal shooting light on the right moon phase when the moon says morning feeding.

I don't want to take anything away from anyone using the method successfully, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can only speak from my personal experiences, and they were with the moon guide used here most often when a late return to bedding was predicted. My set ups were less than a hundred yards from the buck's bed, sometimes less than fifty yards. I had more than one 2 1/2 year old eight point show near the bed(s) in gray light or during the first five minutes when hunting other beds this way, and a 3 1/2 year old as well... this in itself is a great accomplishment in an area where no buck can get more than a quarter of a mile from a public road with tremendous pressure. My disappointment lies with a buck that I believe would have contended for the record in the county in which he was located, a mature Beast. My first close encounter with him when the moon chart said "go" for the morning hunt had him pass my tree at fifteen yards forty minutes before first light- nothing but a grey blob in the darkness... I did not consider shooting him for one minute, and if it happened again a hundred times in a row I would do the same. That bedding area was blown, and I had one other close encounter with him in a different bedding area when the moon chart gave the morning a "go" again. He passed into the bedding area (small) over twenty minutes before first light- this time it was all based on hearing him walk in, he was too far to see the "grey blob" in the darkness. I know it was him, a lone big buck that had long ago learned that getting into his bed late would get him shot at. If this buck made a mistake, it didn't happen when I was there...

I am confident that there are many other mature bucks on heavy pressure public land that avoid the moon chart tendencies and are bedded well before first light even when conditions are right. They may make a mistake, and hopefully we are on stand when they do... moon phase predictions are far from an "absolute" or "always" tendency of buck behavior where I hunt. I will take an evening hunt close to the bedded buck whenever possible- but will try the morning moon phase prediction If I'm out of options.

mah two pennies!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”