Public Land - Scouting Electronically HELP

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woody-san

Re: Public Land - Scouting Electronically HELP

Unread postby woody-san » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:54 am

Bucky wrote:I just did about 15 min of research... if I were you I would focus my efforts on this area Coshocton, OH 43812 given your location. There is 20,000 acres of public Woodbury Wildlife Area + 12,000 acres via Conesville Coal Land. Get out aerials + topos + road maps... due some searches on the internet. Make a plan to scout next April (3 day weekend at least)... I guarantee you there are a fair amount of SLOBs in that area. Ben Rising from Drury Outdoors operates in that area = Wolf Creek Outfitters... I'm pretty sure some of his outfitting business is held on public land. Start now, that is HUGE chunk of property to explore but I almost guarantee it holds what you are looking 4 ;) The coal land requires a permit (it is FREE), I would personally start there because it takes a little forethought in order to be able to access the property. From this point on it just takes effort, planning, gas money, and boot leather. Good luck

Hey, hey...let's not let the cat out of the bag about Coshocton!! ;)

Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 am

My biggest concern would be how he said he found out there was basically no hunting allowed on the property that he went to scout. This is something I'm struggling with figuring out in my home state with lands that are within 30 minutes of me. How do you guys go about finding out what the restrictions are for a piece of property? How do you find out for sure if a piece that's open to the public is also open to hunting and not just nature walks or something like that?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Hunter, ive learned some tricks since my original post that work here in pa.

If I am unsure about an area, I strait up call the game commission. We have a program in this state called CO-OP. Basically the game commission pays the land taxes of a landowner who has 1000 or more acres whos willing to let people hunt. Yesterday I contacted them because I couldnt find that map on their website. I got back a bunch of details including a link to the maps on a county basis that show every property enrolled. In the immediate area I live(30 mins) theres two farms enrolled. Go another fifteen minutes and its into the hundreds. They dont announce the address, give you a general area. Its up to you to find the sign which is about 10x10 stating they are enrolled and ask permission. Some have restrictions on certain big game animals or on trapping. Take that map, then go to something like mytopo and see if its even worth going to look. Additionally most state parks are usually open for hunting.

In addition to the info here. I have just asked on a open forum to talk about a specific area... not... gimme your best ohio spot. But... im looking to go to X can anyone PM me to talk about this.

Hope that helps. Thankfully the Virginia piece I looked at was within a 40 min drive of my brother in laws and we were already going for a visit. Had I drove six hours to find that I couldnt hunt it I wouldve been furious.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:32 am

jlh42581 wrote:...I got back a bunch of details including a link to the maps on a county basis that show every property enrolled. In the immediate area I live(30 mins) theres two farms enrolled. Go another fifteen minutes and its into the hundreds. They dont announce the address, give you a general area. Its up to you to find the sign which is about 10x10 stating they are enrolled and ask permission. Some have restrictions on certain big game animals or on trapping. Take that map, then go to something like mytopo and see if its even worth going to look. Additionally most state parks are usually open for hunting...

jlh42581,
If it wouldn't be to much to ask, could you send me that link?

jlh42581 wrote:...In addition to the info here. I have just asked on a open forum to talk about a specific area... not... gimme your best ohio spot. But... im looking to go to X can anyone PM me to talk about this...

I'm a little confused by this. Do you need an Ohio spot to hunt?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Bucky wrote:"I guess my major question is, do you look at a topo and immediately count it out? Is most public land open for hunting that you can find out about through the state a major waste of time without crossing barriers such as water or climbing a rock face?"

No... & No...

1. Get away from big cities if possible
2. Look for special access (only open for a small porition of the year)
3. Look for limited road access (very few access pts - bonus)
4. Look at surrounding land owners properties (you want to find areas that have large chunks of land privately held - big farms!, especially those surrounding the public you gonna check out)
5. Water creek/river +1, large hills +1, bluffs +2, marsh/swamp of good size > say 600 acres +1
6. Historical record books
7. New property, First time open to public hunting +++ pending size/location
8. If you are in the area, check out a local bar/sports shop... big bucks on the walls? If so ask some basic questions - this works well in bars where someone that does not give a crap about hunting will spill their guts (you gotta sort through the BS though)
9. Tag restrictions - draw +, OTC -, CWD free -, special permit +, high cost + (if you can afford), limited harvest quota + (more for next yr = increases odds of upper age classes)
10. This one is important, is there a sanctuary? - restricted hunting area, unaccessible to hunting, camping area, neighboring property that is not hunted/conservationist/tree hugger/etc, smaller city adjoining property - deer will retreat into city, especially older age class deer

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting... but this is my thought process of whether or not it is worth my time

Bump! A lot of guys hanging up the weapons for the season and focusing on scouting. This is one of the most comprehensive posts on e-scouting.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:46 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Bucky wrote:"I guess my major question is, do you look at a topo and immediately count it out? Is most public land open for hunting that you can find out about through the state a major waste of time without crossing barriers such as water or climbing a rock face?"

No... & No...

1. Get away from big cities if possible
2. Look for special access (only open for a small porition of the year)
3. Look for limited road access (very few access pts - bonus)
4. Look at surrounding land owners properties (you want to find areas that have large chunks of land privately held - big farms!, especially those surrounding the public you gonna check out)
5. Water creek/river +1, large hills +1, bluffs +2, marsh/swamp of good size > say 600 acres +1
6. Historical record books
7. New property, First time open to public hunting +++ pending size/location
8. If you are in the area, check out a local bar/sports shop... big bucks on the walls? If so ask some basic questions - this works well in bars where someone that does not give a crap about hunting will spill their guts (you gotta sort through the BS though)
9. Tag restrictions - draw +, OTC -, CWD free -, special permit +, high cost + (if you can afford), limited harvest quota + (more for next yr = increases odds of upper age classes)
10. This one is important, is there a sanctuary? - restricted hunting area, unaccessible to hunting, camping area, neighboring property that is not hunted/conservationist/tree hugger/etc, smaller city adjoining property - deer will retreat into city, especially older age class deer

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting... but this is my thought process of whether or not it is worth my time

I'd also add +2 for a coop "close" to the area. This formula works 1000% better if you have area hunters giving the lesser bucks a free pass.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:33 am

Bump. Some real good info here
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:24 am

The biggest thing I learned from last season was Spysar's point about being willing to travel...I have 2 handfuls of publics, but they are smaller in size and close to civilization so lots of traffic. I might quit a few of them and will need to replace them besides adding larger pieces farther away and hitting more water.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:46 am

creepingdeth wrote:The biggest thing I learned from last season was Spysar's point about being willing to travel...I have 2 handfuls of publics, but they are smaller in size and close to civilization so lots of traffic. I might quit a few of them and will need to replace them besides adding larger pieces farther away and hitting more water.

I’ve noticed that as well. I’m scouting a big marsh close to my house and it’s also within a short drive of the highest density of people in the state. And even going in remote, crossing deep creeks and a mile+ of cattails, you aren’t ever alone.

I will say adding water has gotten me into better looking areas. Seems like a no brainer but it’s scary different going from dry access to transitions, and wet access.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:36 am

Jonny wrote:
creepingdeth wrote:The biggest thing I learned from last season was Spysar's point about being willing to travel...I have 2 handfuls of publics, but they are smaller in size and close to civilization so lots of traffic. I might quit a few of them and will need to replace them besides adding larger pieces farther away and hitting more water.

I’ve noticed that as well. I’m scouting a big marsh close to my house and it’s also within a short drive of the highest density of people in the state. And even going in remote, crossing deep creeks and a mile+ of cattails, you aren’t ever alone.

I will say adding water has gotten me into better looking areas. Seems like a no brainer but it’s scary different going from dry access to transitions, and wet access.

Seeing you lads working in water access has me thinking about the same thing for the two public areas that are closest to the largest city in my area. My biggest challenge has been finding a place to launch a kayak or canoe where the rest of the guys won't see my truck know what I'm doing. Everyone has a canoe or kayak here. Any young guy who sees me lugging it in or out is going to try it themselves.

How do you guys hide the fact that you accessed by water? Or am I crazy thinking that the other guys will follow me in?

Thanks
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:37 am

Sorry, I hit the wrong edit button lol.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 am

Babshaft wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Seeing you lads working in water access has me thinking about the same thing for the two public areas that are closest to the largest city in my area. My biggest challenge has been finding a place to launch a kayak or canoe where the rest of the guys won't see my truck know what I'm doing. Everyone has a canoe or kayak here. Any young guy who sees me lugging it in or out is going to try it themselves.

How do you guys hide the fact that you accessed by water? Or am I crazy thinking that the other guys will follow me in?

Thanks

I don't own a kayak or canoe so all my water access is wading. So most guys think I am the crazy one. But for wading, my best piece of advice is hide your wading gear in plain sight. I wear jungle boots early season, and nobody would ever know unless they looked at them up close or I told them. Later in the year, throw a pair of old pants over your hip boots so nobody sees that.

For kayaking or canoeing, I would make it look like I am fishing. You use a saddle which is actually a plus for this, stow your bow out of sight, wear your pack on your back, and take a fishing rod and small cooler with you. Leave a couple lure wrappers on the dashboard and put a fishing sticker on your vehicle and you are hiding in plain sight :lol:
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:09 am

Jonny wrote:
Babshaft wrote:
Jonny wrote:

Thanks

I don't own a kayak or canoe so all my water access is wading. So most guys think I am the crazy one. But for wading, my best piece of advice is hide your wading gear in plain sight. I wear jungle boots early season, and nobody would ever know unless they looked at them up close or I told them. Later in the year, throw a pair of old pants over your hip boots so nobody sees that.

For kayaking or canoeing, I would make it look like I am fishing. You use a saddle which is actually a plus for this, stow your bow out of sight, wear your pack on your back, and take a fishing rod and small cooler with you. Leave a couple lure wrappers on the dashboard and put a fishing sticker on your vehicle and you are hiding in plain sight :lol:

You’re a frigging genius. I already have the stickers hahaha.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 am

Jonny wrote:Bump. Some real good info here

Thanks for bumping this Jonny.

This was a good read for me! Lately I just started looking at a new chunk of public and it meets a lot of Bucky's specs. His strategy is a lot of common sense but really a great confidence boost for me finding an area I like and then reading through this.

Recently I bumped into a game warden at a Chinese restaurant. I flat out asked him if he'd seen any monsters in the area and he told me exactly where to go, just to be willing to walk a LONGGG way, its about a 2-3 mile walk. Prior to that discussion I had also over heard a conversation about a potential state record being poached in that exact area...

Doesn't get much more obvious sometimes...lol
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:09 am

rfickes87 wrote:
Jonny wrote:Bump. Some real good info here

Thanks for bumping this Jonny.

This was a good read for me! Lately I just started looking at a new chunk of public and it meets a lot of Bucky's specs. His strategy is a lot of common sense but really a great confidence boost for me finding an area I like and then reading through this.

Recently I bumped into a game warden at a Chinese restaurant. I flat out asked him if he'd seen any monsters in the area and he told me exactly where to go, just to be willing to walk a LONGGG way, its about a 2-3 mile walk. Prior to that discussion I had also over heard a conversation about a potential state record being poached in that exact area...

Doesn't get much more obvious sometimes...lol

Yep. And I also can say if you are willing to get a little dirty, there is tons of great information sitting out there for the taking. It's all fair game, but I will leave it at that because I know it starts pushing some peoples views as to what is ethical to do, but to me, if its out there, its fair game.

I'd rather keep those tactics secret for now, although I have a hunch a couple guys use them quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”