Public Land - Scouting Electronically HELP

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Public Land - Scouting Electronically HELP

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:12 am

Bucky... how do you find the limited draw hunts and what not?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:00 am

State DNR offices, Huntin' Fool for Western hunts, internet, hunting shows on television - pay attention to where they are hunting (scout the pros).

By the way, you are not playing on the same playing field as most of the guys from the MidWest. We are spoiled here with many opportunities within a short driving distance...

I have 3 children, it can be done no problem, you just gotta want it! Charge hard... take the wife and kid along when you can. I regularly pull my now 3 and 5 year old in a sled when I'm winter scouting... no need to go to the gym!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:20 am

awesome info, and once again much appreciated. i never thought of calling the PGC to ask about draw hunts but that does make sense... big duh on my part. I agree, about it not quite being the same. central pa is some pretty rough terrain in comparison to non mountains states. while someone might have 10 spots where they can walk a mile and not be physically exhausted, i might have 2. im sort of used to that but like i said, it doenst make for great digital scouting around most of this state. i need to just get up and go, it would be a lot easier if i had someone to split the cost with even slightly.

as soon as baby carter arrives his world is already filled with whitetails. his bedroom is a whitetail theme, its little deer, dont think deer heads, think baby stuff, but still. if i have anything to do with it he will have it burning in him like it does me. i took my exs daughter on her first deer hunt at 3. was one of my best days ever in the woods. i went more so just to take her for something to do as i knew killing deer most likely wouldnt happen. it was rifle season and she says to me..."listen, fireworks", i about died. i then had to explain to her why deer werent showing up as soon as we sat down... freaking tv. she lasted a whole hour, which isnt bad for a three year old in 20 degree temps.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:30 am

I'd enjoy your new baby as much as possible and let the rest fall into place. If getting access to private land isn't out of the question its time to start knocking on doors now. If I was in the boat of only getting 6-8 days to hunt I wouldn't dick with 3 hour drives, you gotta be available for emergencies. Its easy for me to say this cuz I'm situated in an area where I have lots of hunting opportunities tho. Good luck and Congrats.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:42 am

I just did about 15 min of research... if I were you I would focus my efforts on this area Coshocton, OH 43812 given your location. There is 20,000 acres of public Woodbury Wildlife Area + 12,000 acres via Conesville Coal Land. Get out aerials + topos + road maps... due some searches on the internet. Make a plan to scout next April (3 day weekend at least)... I guarantee you there are a fair amount of SLOBs in that area. Ben Rising from Drury Outdoors operates in that area = Wolf Creek Outfitters... I'm pretty sure some of his outfitting business is held on public land. Start now, that is HUGE chunk of property to explore but I almost guarantee it holds what you are looking 4 ;) The coal land requires a permit (it is FREE), I would personally start there because it takes a little forethought in order to be able to access the property. From this point on it just takes effort, planning, gas money, and boot leather. Good luck
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:50 am

cant get much better information than that, thanks a million, i will definitely look into it... TODAY
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:55 am

would you mind sharing with me how you arrived at this location? you can pm me if you dont want to share on the forum.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:07 am

here's a link that will help and from this link you can get around to others like AEP.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_re ... fault.aspx
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:12 am

Here's another link. If you look at the bottom it says most state forest are open for hunting season.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/5158/Default.aspx
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:14 am

noted jrm, thanks. i started an ohio research folder. going to try and make something happen next year. im also not counting out maryland or west virginia.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:35 am

I focus my efforts where I know there are big deer.... those places I mentioned above have 150"+ whitetails and a fair # of them. Little bit too far for me though at this time...

Look at Ohio record books, scout the pros, look for large chunks of property, look for obstacles (this one has them because it is so big), look for more rural areas, look for special access.... it is all spelled out above. It is really not rocket science, the hard part is putting in the planning, boot leather, and timing the weather/deer movement. I can tell you if that was within a 6hr drive of me I would be hunting in that vicinity or at least attempting to check things out. Ohio has been coughing up a bunch of SLOBs lately + it is an OTC tag and is reasonable $$.

Now employ some of Spy's magic and look for a "cabin" or some sort of non-chain motel to stay at while scouting (farm house, weekly rental etc), could lead to your very own chunk of private paradise. I would also call the local biologist or conservation officer and pick his or her brain. Then I would call/email some of the small town rural real estate agents as well and just ask if they know of any landowners that might be willing to let an out of stater from PA hunt for a week for a fee. Do they know of any rental properties that also have acreage with them? I would also map out every outfitter in the surrounding area... chances are they are in certain areas for a reason. Pull aerials 1st, look for large chunks of unbroken timber, look for ag (I did this already, it is there). Then try to focus in on a specific spot with maybe an over looked access pt. Railroad track?, old access road (now that gets you back into a spot without killing yourself, then break off to a ridge pt etc that is maybe another mile from that access pt). So total you are 2-3 miles from the nearest road, yet you can walk a pretty easy trail (logging rd, rail rd, mining rd?) half the distance. Good luck - If you know someone that is trustworthy and a decent hunter I would get a buddy to go with. These are tough hunts to do on your own and may not be safe if you are gettn off the beaten path... + if you kill one you have to think about that as well. My good buddy and I plan how we are going to get animals out just as much as how we are gonna get back to the areas we plan to hunt. A wheeled cart is the only way to go in the hills (we have used a block n tackle pully system before on super steep ravines ;) ). Once on top or old loggin trail the wheeled cart is worth its wt in gold!
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:47 am

Ive had a cart for a couple years, theres been times it was a godsend. A lot of the places I have to hunt, dont even have logging roads.

Good news... talked a buddy into heading to ohio next year and the old lady is cool with it too :)
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:19 am

8-) - Go get em.... when you kill one there next year, bring the thread back to the top!
GLOCKMASTER

Unread postby GLOCKMASTER » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:50 am

Unless something unforeseen happens I will be heading to Ohio in November to hunt on public land. This thread is full of some great information that has helped and is continuing to help me plan my hunt.

That is what makes this site so unique when compared to others is that information like this is so openly shared.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:02 am

GLOCKMASTER wrote:Unless something unforeseen happens I will be heading to Ohio in November to hunt on public land. This thread is full of some great information that has helped and is continuing to help me plan my hunt.

That is what makes this site so unique when compared to others is that information like this is so openly shared.

exactly
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”