scouting for special state park hunts??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

76chevy
500 Club

scouting for special state park hunts??

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 am

The first 2 day hunt is held in mid November and then another 2 day hunt in late November so the rut will be rocking

how would you scout and prepare?

what kind of areas do you look for?

there are always lots of hunters in the woods and many turn into foot soldiers about 9 or 10AM.

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Re: scouting for special state park hunts??

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:40 am

How many hunters and how big of an area?

Chances are the deer will be pressured all day long, I might throw the rut tactics out the window and find the nastiest thickest hard to reach place you can find. Let the other hunters push the bucks to you.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:55 am

I am not sure on hunter number it varies depending on how many show up, maybe 40-50 hunters broken up into 2 different areas for each 2 day hunt.

The second day is about half that number of hunters.

total area is 2,382 acres, about a 1/4 of that is not huntable during the special hunts due to being close to park inn, nature center, etc.

here is the general area, red triangle is a stand location I have hunted before, access from the northwest--this is the back of the park, there are no trails and this area rarely gets walked by people

In the past I tried hunting funnels and up high on ridges to see a long ways with very limited success. :?

headgear wrote:How many hunters and how big of an area?

Chances are the deer will be pressured all day long, I might throw the rut tactics out the window and find the nastiest thickest hard to reach place you can find. Let the other hunters push the bucks to you.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 am

Start with hunting escape routes and then look at hunting the thickest/nastiest areas and look for limited daytime movement after the first morning. Sit all day and slip in and out under the cover of darkness.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:37 am

I think your mark is in a more open area on top? Without pressure I would say that would be an okay rut spot... in my experience when the pressure starts in hill country the good bucks abandon the tops (unless super thick from clear cutting etc) and head to thickest stuff you can find usually in the bottoms... most casual hunters will stay on top... it is easier walking then dropping into the bottoms. Looks like your elevation changes are decent/extreme in spots...

PMs sent ;)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:23 am

arial of the same property

76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:48 am

the surrounding property gets a fair amount of gun season pressure but this state park is hunted for 4 days about every other year...some real monsters roaming the area.

I am hoping I get drawn there again!!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:52 am

76chevy wrote:the surrounding property gets a fair amount of gun season pressure but this state park is hunted for 4 days about every other year...some real monsters roaming the area.

I am hoping I get drawn there again!!

This is exactly the type of property I look for.... don't know if I would broadcast it here though :?:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:18 am

got drawn here for both hunts this year, has not been hunted in 2 years it should be fun!!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:43 am

76chevy wrote:got drawn here for both hunts this year, has not been hunted in 2 years it should be fun!!

Good luck! Sounds like a sweet oportunity
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:46 am

Wow that's awesome good luck chevy!

I am in the process of going through the background check to be a city of stevens point, WI deer culler! I will be paid to shoot does in the city limits on a number of properties they gave me a map of. The people running it do NOT have this together well its pretty new to the city so I am just getting the details now. Most of the properties I will be on only have one access. So I will hunt based on the wind being right for access and then will scout/hunt that property that day on the best sign I can find. I hope your state park hunt plays out well. 2yrs is a long time, thats 2yrs of protected antler growth. I would be very excited if I was in your shoes.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:06 am

Yes, very excited. It is a real privilege to hunt there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”