How often should you check your camera

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

How often should you check your camera

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:59 am

fellow beasts,
how often do u check your cameras? once a mounth once every two mouths! how much is to much before ur intruding?

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: How often should you check your camera

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:30 pm

It's a minimum of two weeks for me. Some of my other ones run 6 weeks because they are out of state. Deer catch on quick if you check too much.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:46 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:It's a minimum of two weeks for me. Some of my other ones run 6 weeks because they are out of state. Deer catch on quick if you check too much.

I check once a mouth until august then not till after oct 1
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:03 pm

bighunt wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:It's a minimum of two weeks for me. Some of my other ones run 6 weeks because they are out of state. Deer catch on quick if you check too much.

When do you put yours out? I only put mine out from July 24 until the first weekend in September. i usually just get a profile of the bucks in my area and pull them out of the woods a couple weeks before the opener.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:27 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
bighunt wrote:

When do you put yours out? I only put mine out from July 24 until the first weekend in September. i usually just get a profile of the bucks in my area and pull them out of the woods a couple weeks before the opener.

I pretty much do the same thing....

I have also changed my practice of where I will place them. I usually don't set them in timber anymore unless I'm first learning a property. I try to keep them in a location where I can drive right to the tree in a vehicle or quad = ag fields, logging road, etc. The 1st week of bow season is killer if you have kept your hunting areas completely intrusion free since last April....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:47 am

If it is one of the newer more reliable models, then once per-summer...preferrably in early August. I utilize them where legal over mineral licks during the summer months, just to take inventory of what bucks are in the area. Since they are typically "bachelored" up, you can see most of the bucks at least once.

If you can, pull them in the rain to wash away residual scent.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:35 am

I think you can check them fairly often ( once every two weeks ) as long as there are away from hunting areas... I personally usually move them every time I check them unless I am on private managed property.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
bighunt wrote:

june 1st
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 pm

I personally own two trail cams and have a sort of system for putting them out. Much like bucky said my main focus is to get a jump on them for opening week or so. My plan is to obviously to get them before the really heavy rutting activity takes place.

I usually place my two cameras over a secondary area from late may until mid july

I will wait for a rain around mid july, get in there and place it over what I would consider to be my go to food source for opening weekend. I will then pull that camera mid-late august depending on when we get rain. This will allow any scent to wash away in the rain and give the area a total of 3-4 weeks to cool down before opening

I will then move the cameras to either an area of the property I do not know much about or another property all together I have never been to in order to do some recon, see if any quality bucks are around, how certain areas are used, ect.

If I really need a camera for in season use (which I rarely do) I can run into that area which I care very little about snag a camera and not have to worry about screwing anything up for my "A or B" rated areas.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:48 am

I just checked my trail camera I had on the edge of a river yesterday and the thing was halway underwater :x . Thats why I don't have a Recoynx! :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”