Loose lips sink ships...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Re: Loose lips sink ships...

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:37 am

oldrank wrote:Ill cover up tracks n kick over scrapes...I also have made false rubs n scrapes in certain areas I dont hunt to lure other hunters into theses spots n away from me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Never thought of covering scrapes, I guess I figured the casual hunters were scouting a week before opener. Good idea

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:52 am

You guys ever think the efforts going into covering scrapes and rubs, also works against you with the deer your hunting in the area and your scent disturbance being in the area?

SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:08 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:You guys ever think the efforts going into covering scrapes and rubs, also works against you with the deer your hunting in the area and your scent disturbance being in the area?

X2 I was wondering that same thing

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:19 pm

I don't tell or show anyone any of my spots till after I'm done with it. I know if I say or show anyone a decent spot there's a good chance it will get hunted. I usually only give friends small pieces of my hunting info after they have given me a tip.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:08 am

I talk deer with my two cousins in KY and thats it. And yes I have flat out lied about where and what I seen and where and what I killed. Here in FL I have talked with my buddy about two pieces of public we both hunt. He is the one that got me into Bowhunting so if I give him a tip or two I just figure even if he manages to kill a deer there I still owe him more then that. I am working a local piece and one of the guys on here is helping me with tips and tactics to use while I am learning and I'll have no prob telling him exactly what I am seeing and where and sharing pics if I get any. But if my neighbor asks I'm squirrel hunting out there!!!!!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:16 am

dan wrote:Image

I just did this recently. lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:29 am

love ya buckfever...no one needs to hear or see where i hang out...big deer are ghosts and so am i(unless in orange) :twisted:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:46 am

I hear ya on not liking being seen.

I have a spot in a marsh that I want to hunt but don't want everyone else to see me (in orange)....I'm torn whether or not to hunt it during gun season lol.

basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:54 am

Bump....for the new eyes.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks for the bump. I sunk my own ship last year by telling a few people I trusted about a big buck I was after. Next thing I knew everybody in that square knew about and was targeting that buck.. I hear about a lot of bucks that are around since I work in an archery shop. Lots of guys show me pics of bucks they have on cam. It's usually pretty easy to figure out where people hunt, you just have to listen to the little details when they are talking. I've become much more leery of talking about deer I'm after and spots I hunt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 am

U won't find a bigger believer of this topic than myself. I've been burned so many times by this it is unreal. If it wasn't for safety I wouldn't even tell my wife where the heck I'm going. I said awhile back about becoming friendly with the local taxidermist and a lot of u guys don't like the approach but atleast head the warning. When anyone asks me where did u shoot him, I just smile and say right behind the shoulder. Also don't take any kill site pics with a easy land mark in the background. I did this with a fishing spot, had a water tower in the background didn't take long for the vultures to move in.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:09 am

Its either north of town or south of town...maybe that's too much info :think:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:39 pm

I also keep my mouth shut. Lots of guys will talk and some of them greatly exaggerate like you mention. Last year a guy told my dad his son had missed a big buck on some public. About a week later my brother almost killed it. Now it was in a different area of the public that we knew about and had previously scouted and planned on hunting regardless but if it had been a new guy to that public piece his son might have had a lot of company. My younger brother used to like to take his friends hunting and fishing and before long he would find their trucks parked in the spots he had showed them. He has now realized not to trust anyone. I don't think it's fair for someone to ask you what you are seeing and expect you to tell them about a huge buck you saw or exactly where you're hunting. Some guys are really trying to avoid your hunting areas so they don't mess you up while others are trying to hone in on your spots. Problem is trying to determine the honest ones from the others.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:48 pm

I used to share way more than I ever will again. Last year was a wake up call. As nice as people come off, there are still snakes and snakes bite. 99% of the folks are honest, but there are people who will cheat however they can. I would never post an actual map on an open forum, and I will be super strict on any kill pics I may post.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm

It would have to be a real reliable source for me to consider hunting a buck or a area I didn't see myself I always have several areas scouted well before the season and several bucks on my radar from previous seasons, so in almost every case if I were to use that information of a alleged big buck I'd just store it in the memory banks for the next season
Persistence pays!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”