Where to start, where to go?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PASwamper

Where to start, where to go?

Unread postby PASwamper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:53 pm

hunting question.jpg

I have very little idea where to start looking here. I was thinking I would try walking the sides of the main creek and branch off to clumps where there are bigger trees. Maybe the small swampy area in the upper left? Places like this confuse me because the whole area is scattered with swamp and hard ground and it seems like a deer could bed almost anywhere in there. Enough hard ground that the whole area can basically be walked through with knee boots (except for crossing the main creek) as long as the water isn't high. Do you think the deer will get up next to the creek and use it as a barrier because there is not much else to use as a barrier? The areas with a big swamp are much easier for me to decide where to look. This area, not so easy. Any helpful suggestions?

Goober

Re: Where to start, where to go?

Unread postby Goober » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:37 pm

I would start by walking the creek edge and looking for a crossing. Not saying that I would hunt the crossing if one is found, but the creek edge should at least give you an idea. Also, I am a huge fan of using the creek for access. Not sure now big the creek is, but canoeing in or wading in will get you some great scent-free access, and quiet too! Plus, when you arrow that 220 lb slob 2 miles in, the creek will save your back when it comes to getting him out! And if you can get your hands on a topo map and find some isolated high spots, check them for beds! Any long high spots or fingers of high ground will be preffered travel routes as well. Good luck!!!
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks Goober. I use a canoe a few times a year but is big, heavy, and a little noisy so I don't use it a whole heck of a lot especially if I have to keep pulling it to get around trees and what not. I sure do like getting the canoe out though, adds something to the hunt. Makes me wanna buy a lighter one. Thanks for the advice. Is there anywhere to get topos for free?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:46 pm

ACME mapper 2.0.
Great site, you can set the "crosshairs" on a aerial and switch to topo. Ect................

Good luck and be sure that you have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:45 am

Nice!!! Thanks, what a sweet site. What a great tool, man I'll have fun with this!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:03 am

try a kayak. not sure how useful it would be in getting a deer out

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”