Public Land trail camera strategies ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Public Land trail camera strategies ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 pm

There are some nice bucks in them Public Lands. Problem is a lot of the Public spots I hunt are 1/2 mile from the road. With crops sometimes a mile away. So shining a field tells you nothing cause the deer might be coming from a private woods close to the crops..You can,t shine the Public lands ,so that,s out. Glassing works good ,but not if you live many miles from your hunting areas.
A lot of the public land I hunt is 70 % grass and bushes.Not a whole lot of good transition from swamp to woods.
It,s a double edge sword,you hang the camera in the open or to close to the edge,and they will be spotted by thieves for sure. You go deeper to avoid the thieves and your pushing your luck with alarming deer in their safe zone.But the camera does,nt take any pictures sitting on a shelve at home.
I decided to take my chances this year .I have the Predator Traileye with the RAM mounting swivel.So I went just inside the woodline about 30 yards.And hung a couple about 15 feet up.They are locked to the tree, so if someone does stumble across them .They will have to hike a half mile or more back to their truck .And come back with a climber or steps and some lock cutters.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Public Land trail camera strategies ?

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:16 pm

Sounds easier, and maybe a better approach to leave the camera home and just hunt the beds a time or two... If you got a day to drive there and hang cameras, drive there on a day with the right moon phase and glass instead... Just my 2 cents.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Swamp- the best way to do it is exactly as you did and hang them high and lock em up. I wouldn't leave em sit too long either... in the past 5 years I think I'm out 3 cameras! :evil:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:00 am

dan wrote:Sounds easier, and maybe a better approach to leave the camera home and just hunt the beds a time or two... If you got a day to drive there and hang cameras, drive there on a day with the right moon phase and glass instead... Just my 2 cents.

A few years back I. Did just that.unfortunately that was before I was introduced to the portable BEAST style hunting.All I had for stands were ladders and hang-ons that weighed a ton. I glassed a real nice buck but did'nt have an efficient set up.Boy I wish I had a Lone Wolf stand back then.might have been a big buck down.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 am

i'm leery of putting trail cams on public land. if i do i hang 'em as you mentioned, high and lock them up with 2 types of locks, a python cable and if possible chain as well. that way they need 2 different tools to get them down as well as pack in sticks to climb with. the problem with that is then you really molest the spot an on public land, that can push a buck out.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”