What should I be doing now?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

What should I be doing now?

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Obviously when the leaves are off and there is little foliage, you scout for beds.So, what do i do now when its 100 outside with ticks and undergrowth EVERYWHERE?Looking to get as much info gather as possible...Still look for beds?Look for trails?Walk food sources? Just need an idea of what to look for during these hot summer months!

Dewey

Re: What should I be doing now?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:43 pm

I try to do everything from a distance such as glassing and shining where legal. This time of the year my mountain bike gets plenty of use and I am always looking for fresh trail crossings near roads or edges of fields just to try and figure out some type of pattern going on. Maybe I will set up a camera in a travel route just to take inventory on what is around but I will not go anywhere near bedding areas. When I am driving around in my truck I am always checking out new spots and making notes where I see deer feeding or traveling as well. This year I hope to get a few bucks patterned for opening day instead of just relying on the luck of the rut in Oct/Nov like I have in the past.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:32 am

This time of year I like to run a few cams to see what is out there and shoot my bow. Glassing bucks in the bigwoods is a pretty difficult task so I don't even try any more. I also try and squeeze in a little fishing and golf and help kill time until the fall.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 am

I had one more stand site to prep and I got it done about 4 days ago. Things have greened up, it was hot and I made the mistake of going out in a tee shirt. I got attacked by skeeters! I got the tree prepped and got the heck out of there! Bottom line for me is I'm done in the woods until season gets here. I don't run cameras and I really can't glass or shine any of my spots so I'm forced to spent the summer fishing. :lol:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:55 am

I hear you on the skeeters.....terrible.

Shining and glassing are tough by me also, some small areas I drive the truck down back roads and watch for deer feeding in fresh cuts.

Will have a few bear baits out to check inventory, hope to have a kill tag next year. Otherwise it's fish, fish and spend more time fishing. :D
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:59 am

Shooting bow and running cams... if you have not in the past, practice out to 50 yards if you can. Makes those 20-30 yards shot a lot easier
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:49 am

I threw my cameras out and checked them to make sure they're working, now I let them sit for a month before I head back out to swap batteries and cards. In the mean time I am spending time with my family as well as my extended family, getting chores done around the house, drinking summer time beer, getting ready for my musky trip with Hodag, and just enjoying the air conditioning.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 am

Check cams and look for new access for hunting!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:38 am

Spend the next two weeks looking at aerials and topo's and devising your game plan... Towards the end of June start glassing, shining, and cameras.
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Now is also a good time to go through all your equipment/gear and prep it for Stealth Mode so your ready for when the season hits :D
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Enjoy the summer! Stay in shape!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
MN Ryder

Unread postby MN Ryder » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:07 am

I'll be trying something new this year, using a spotting scope from a hang-on to view a section of logging road / fire lane across a marsh in a relatively isolated area that borders private land. I snowshoed this area over the winter and discovered new bedding areas and trails. Will take hipboots to get there during hunting season but I don't want to distrub anything now.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:49 am

Sounds like Ill have the place to myself then. :D Only thing that will slow me down is the poison ivy. If I even see the stuff, I get itchy. I can understand your theory on not wanting to disturb the bucks, but I don't think you will harm anything right now if you need/want to scout. Ill give you 2 examples.
1 Andrea stated in the marsh video that bucks get bumped all the time from their bedding areas. His bump and dump seems to work for him and he is doing it in season.
2. Tony Lapratt runs no less then 20 guys thru his woods every weekend from Jan to Aug, yet kills a nice buck on that land every year.

Lets say you harassed a buck so badly that he did leave that bed for good. If no human scent is left in/around that bed for a couple months, there's no reason another buck wont take it over. It was chosen for a reason, and other bucks will realize its potential as well.

Anybody can make up excuses as to why they shouldn't go scouting today (hot, bugs, limited visibility, etc). It is harder to scout now versus March, but as Dan says, hard work is what gets bucks.
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”