Keep your corn ! where's the beans

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Keep your corn ! where's the beans

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 pm

I was gettin pumped for this years shining.Being as almost all fields around last year were corn. But just my luck they're all corn again. What happened to crop rotation.Oh well. I woulds thought with a wet ,late, spring plant .And a cooler extended forecast predicted.It would have been nothin but beans for sure.I always thought it was a bad idea to raise corn succesive years.Good thing I never became a farmer.

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Keep your corn ! where's the beans

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 pm

The genetic breeds of corn that they plant these days can actually be planted as late as July 20th and still be harvested however you will have to pay to have it dried. The other thing with these new corn crops is that it is not necessary to follow crop rotation 100% anymore. They are able to introduce proper amounts of nitrogen in the soil prior to planting and plant corn everywhere if they want. Because of the wet spring corn prices are through the roof and most farmers are banking on the numbers to be stable assuming many other farmers didn't make the June 5th deadline and will claim the insurance, however over this last week everyone in our county has got their corn in the field. This may end up biting them in the but I think.
If I had control over the farm land where I hunt and could afford to plant for deer only...then the majority of our fields would be a hybrid forage bean and would never be harvested....LOL
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Same here. Even with all the flooding, farmers are all drilling late corn down here. Everybody is corn crazy. They say corn prices are going thru the roof this year. That's why so much is being planted.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:07 am

The farmer my kids work for just plants sweet corn in the same fields every year. I asked him about crop rotation and he said its totally not needed if you add the proper fertalizers (nitrogen)
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:58 am

You seen corn prices lately? :mrgreen:

And with the floods and everything this year, it looks like prices are just going to continue to rise..
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:52 am

Them corn rows are gettin tighter to I think.Seems like in the old days you could see a lot more down the rows.Now, it,s tough to see 10 yards down a row.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Swampthing wrote:Them corn rows are gettin tighter to I think.Seems like in the old days you could see a lot more down the rows.Now, it,s tough to see 10 yards down a row.

Oh yeah they are definitely closer now.. In a good part of the state, many of the farmers use 22" rows now..

I know further south like Nebraska, they use 36" rows.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm pretty pumped this year, just took a ride around one the farms I hunt yesterday and I have some of the only beans and alfalfa around! The rest is just corn, everywhere.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:36 pm

DropTyne wrote:I'm pretty pumped this year, just took a ride around one the farms I hunt yesterday and I have some of the only beans and alfalfa around! The rest is just corn, everywhere.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

A few years back I had permission to hunt a farm.There was not a tree on it,but the farmer could,nt harvest a small patch of his beans.And come December , i had every deer from the area hitting that tiny patch.It was pretty awesome.Not a single deer lived on the ground I was hunting.But when they crossed that property line into those beans ,FAIR GAME.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 am

sounds like people are thinking they will cash in on corn cause prices are through the roof NOW. its like chasing numbers in the stock market :lol: dont ever chase numbers . now the farmers will flood the market with corn and what will that do to prices.....
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:43 am

tim wrote:sounds like people are thinking they will cash in on corn cause prices are through the roof NOW. its like chasing numbers in the stock market :lol: dont ever chase numbers . now the farmers will flood the market with corn and what will that do to prices.....

It is exactly like that and I agree 100%
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 am

tim wrote:sounds like people are thinking they will cash in on corn cause prices are through the roof NOW. its like chasing numbers in the stock market :lol: dont ever chase numbers . now the farmers will flood the market with corn and what will that do to prices.....

Yep... Looking around I was thinking it would be nice to have one of the few bean crops this year because prices should shoot up come harvest time and no one has beans.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”