Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:27 am

There is another thread about weird people encountered in the woods but thought I would start one about weird or just plain old cool things they have found over the years in the wild. Please post pics if you have them.

Here is mine........ Back in 2008 my dad and I did a fly in fishing trip in northern Ontario. The outpost cabin we were flown into was the only one on the lake and we were 200 miles north of all roads and basically about 40 miles from any other people. While fishing we came across an old shack on an island far from our outpost camp so we decided to investigate. It looked like there was no activity there for awhile since it was so overgrown with brush. I was kinda nervous opening the door but this is what we found.
It looked to be an old moose hunters shack and must have been quite a lot of work since the only way in is by float plane. There were a bunch of cut off moose racks lying around and all kinds of old hunting gear. Guess he didn't care to keep the racks and only wanted the meat. The neatest thing was these calendars on the wall that the hunter used. I found them to be very interesting.

It's always really neat finding stuff like this. This was really cool just because of how very remote it was. This camp seemed to be abandoned and was not used four about the last 4 years according to the calendar. I can only imagine the adventure that this guy had here on his own hunting moose.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 am

Kinda looked like the person just up and left, wonder if he/she died out there :? :shock: . Freaky that's for sure.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 am

That is a cool find for sure.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:04 am

We found a 5 hp evenrude outboard up north! It was buried in the leaves. We took it home and cleaned it up and it ran great. I would have to believe someone stole it and stashed it until things cooled down.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 am

Based on those calendars and the dates/times listed on them it would appear that of all the moose they killed only one was during daylight hours at 3pm. All the other times were after 10pm and before 430am :shock: Looks like a poachers cabin to me!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:24 am

Check out sept 15th 2003. It says "hangover"
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:46 am

I found a bone of a whitetail with the knee joint attached and it still moved...really cool to see, i think a coyote got it... :x
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 am

Those pictures are really cool Dewey..thats a very interesting find!

It would be cool to know the whole story about what went on there, and why it looks like the people using the cabin seem to have just vanished..No picking up, no taking anything home, etc..
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:24 am

:o Wouldn't that be a cool place to stay while hunting out in the middle of no-where. Very interesting!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:16 am

There's a lot of cool things to be found in the woods. A few of the things I've found are abandoned copper mines, long abandoned logging camps, ancient trapper's shacks (ruins) and the like. I always thought it would be a good idea to return to some of them, especially the ones that appeared no one remembered, with a metal detector.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:29 am

You can make out a few old logging camps in our hunting area, they were mostly Native American logging camps from the 40's and 50's. When the old timers first bought our shack the loggers would wander in from time to time to borrow a cup or sugar, flower, or a few medical supplies. There was a maze of logging roads in those days and our guys use to get lost and have to ask the loggers how to find their camp. The loggers of course just walked strait through the woods for miles without a map or compass, they would even show up in the middle of the night if they needed something.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:19 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Those pictures are really cool Dewey..thats a very interesting find!

It would be cool to know the whole story about what went on there, and why it looks like the people using the cabin seem to have just vanished..No picking up, no taking anything home, etc..

Since everything was flown in by floatplane they probably figured nothing was worth bringing back since they would have to pay by weight.. Looks like everything was accumulated over at least a few years and nothing of value was left behind.
Anybody want to stay there moose hunting? Fully furnished cabin 200 miles north of Red Lake! I can give you the GPS coordinates!! :lol:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:45 am

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148441

Dewey try this thread out......found it a few years back. See it is still active.

Don't start reading unless you have lots of time on hand.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:54 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148441

Dewey try this thread out......found it a few years back. See it is still active.

Don't start reading unless you have lots of time on hand.

Thanks Hodag.those are some great stories. :D

Another story I would like to add...... About 10 years ago I was busting through the cattails in the marsh late season and came upon a dead cow elk carcass!! :shock: Quite the surprise since the closest wild elk are up in Clam Lake over 300 miles northwest. I remembered hearing something about some bulls and cows escaping from a local elk farm but thought they were all captured but I guess somebody must have accidentaly shot this one during the gun season a left it lay. Looked to be at least 500lbs!!

Another time I found where a plane crashed way out in the cattails. This was on the news and I never knew where exactly it was but wouldn't you know I just happened to find it by accident. Pretty sure the guy died and you could see where the cattails were mowed down. The only way they got to the crash site was by airboat and they removed the plane by pieces.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:19 am

What is left of an old prison camp is back in the woods near here. Kind of cool to see.....it's not a big secert as quite a few folks know about it. Can still find the barbed wires, building foundations, pots and pans. Once found fresh cow bones that were placed there. That was weird the camp is about a 1/4 mile in and don't have a clue where the cow came from.

I grew up along the Fox River south of Green Bay in Little Chute along the canal system. Every winter the canals are/were drained and we would explore and find cool things. One item was a glass blottle with a note inside. Smashed it open on the rocks and was a note from 1950 something from a school class in Green Bay, the find was late 70's or very early eighties, I was a young pup. Being young my first thought was wow no-one in school anymore from that long ago and crimpled the paper and tossed.

Told the story when I got home and didn't realize how cool it really was. My old man and I went back down to look for the note but never found it again. To those in the know The Fox River flows north........Green Bay is north of Little Chute by about 30 miles of River. How did the bottle end up south?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”