Scouting with Dan

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ttsbuck
500 Club

Scouting with Dan

Unread postby ttsbuck » Mon May 16, 2011 2:53 am

We spent the day with Dan scouting Black Squirrels farm property on saturday. While you can learn alot from Dans videos and also from just talking to him, spending time actually scouting with him is far more valuable. I am 48 years old and wish I had this opportunity 30 years ago. With what I have learned I am very confident that I can find and get a crack at mature bucks where I hunt. I would advise anyone especially younger guys to invest the time and cost of a scouting day with Dan. For what it costs your hunting ability will increase dramatically. Thanks Dan, and Black Squirrel for setting this day up.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting with Dan

Unread postby dan » Mon May 16, 2011 3:23 am

Thanks 8-)
Im glad you enjoyed it. It was a fun time. Black squirle seems to have some good possibilitys.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 17, 2011 1:10 am

Weather wasn't the best, but sure picked up alot from Dan. He found some buck beds I didn't know were there. Due to the mist, I didn't take any video, like I planned. Gardner Swamp took a few pictures, hopefully he can post them when he gets time. He had to run a half marathon on Sunday, so he is probably still recovering! :lol: He finished with a pretty good time by the way, congrats, Jerald!
It was nice meeting Tim (ttsbuck) and his son Marshall. Like Tim said, Dan can really speed up the learning curve for you. It's nice to pick his brain and see what he looks for.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 am

sounds like an excellent scouting mission, guys- heck of an opportunity getting to spend a day with the big buck serial killer!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue May 17, 2011 11:28 am

sounds like an awesome opportunity, i look forward to someday learning from the master myself
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue May 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:Weather wasn't the best, but sure picked up alot from Dan. He found some buck beds I didn't know were there. Due to the mist, I didn't take any video, like I planned. Gardner Swamp took a few pictures, hopefully he can post them when he gets time. He had to run a half marathon on Sunday, so he is probably still recovering! :lol: He finished with a pretty good time by the way, congrats, Jerald!
It was nice meeting Tim (ttsbuck) and his son Marshall. Like Tim said, Dan can really speed up the learning curve for you. It's nice to pick his brain and see what he looks for.

If I'm correct, this was your relative's small farm right BlackSq? Are you willing to talk a little more about the scouting trip, etc?

Hmm..Us Minnesotans need to look into this same kind of team field trip 8-)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 am

jack_4mn wrote:
If I'm correct, this was your relative's small farm right BlackSq? Are you willing to talk a little more about the scouting trip, etc?

Hmm..Us Minnesotans need to look into this same kind of team field trip 8-)

Sure, do you have any specific questions?
Here are some generalazations for you. Dan has the ability to look at the land and say this looks like a good place to find a buck bed. Usually it's a change in elevation, no matter how small, or an overlooked area of vegetation change. He also enlightened me on some rut corridors on my land. I had my own thoughts and was usually a little off from what Dan expected. He would then explain his thought process on why he thought a buck was more apt to use this area. Things usually made perfect sense, after he explained it. It helps to get a different prespective. I was kind set in my ways, and he gave me the nudge I needed to try and get even closer to nailing down these patterns.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sat May 21, 2011 5:09 am

Here is some pics from the scouting of Black Squirrels property.

Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sat May 21, 2011 5:14 am

Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 am

This is the stand Black Squirrel offered to Ttsbuck and myself. :lol: :lol:

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 21, 2011 5:52 am

God I love those buck rubs! What is it about those shaggy, shredded rubs? Can't ever get enough of them!

Gardner, I think the stand you were offered is appropriate- start at the bottom and work your way up! :lol:

Black Squirrel wrote:I was kind set in my ways, and he gave me the nudge I needed

I think it is easy for any of us to get this way- the important thing is that it gets recognized and that we make changes. Having a fresh set of eyes for a different perspective can go a long way... especially when they belong to someone like Dan.

Enjoyed the pics Gardner, thanks for putting them up. 8-)
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat May 21, 2011 7:15 am

Singing Bridge wrote:God I love those buck rubs! What is it about those shaggy, shredded rubs? Can't ever get enough of them!

Gardner, I think the stand you were offered is appropriate- start at the bottom and work your way up! :lol:

Enjoyed the pics Gardner, thanks for putting them up. 8-)

:lol: :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 21, 2011 7:16 am

Gardner Swamp wrote:This is the stand Black Squirrel offered to Ttsbuck and myself. :lol: :lol:

Chair-y tree... or cherry tree??
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat May 21, 2011 10:15 am

Singing Bridge wrote:...What is it about those shaggy, shredded rubs?...

I know what you mean. It's an excitement that wells up from within because you have visions of a buck so old he has grown a crown of burrs covering his bases. It just makes you want to do a little dance right there in the woods. Image
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 am

jack_4mn wrote:Hmm..Us Minnesotans need to look into this same kind of team field trip 8-)

Agreed! That would be awesome!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”