Scouted the marsh 4-13-11

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Scouted the marsh 4-13-11

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:06 pm

I thought I would share a few pics from one of my recent scouting trips. I didn't have time to thoroughly scout it, but I think there are a few bucks of various ages using the area.

On my way out to the spot I wanted to look at I found a ribbon trail going to the same area. What do you think? Think he has enough ribbons to keep from getting lost? :lol:

The ribbons went like this the whole way. There were also pink ribbons coming off this line going into another area I wanted to check out. When I got to the end of these green ribbons it started to open up. When I stopped I heard something ahead and looked up to see two deer running deeper into the marsh about 75 yards from me. They were bedded on an Island. This is about 2/3 of the Island.

It was covered up in beds and hair.

Plus an old rub in it.

I found around a dozen rubs. Nothing big, but the little ones were shredded and snapped off. Here is the biggest diameter rub I found. It's hard to see, but there is an old rub to the right of it.

And here is the best rub I found. You can't see all the tine marks and gouges, but I tried to point some of them out. I actually have a good feeling about the buck that made this rub. I just need to get back out there and find his bed. Then hope he made it.

Here is the back side of the same rub. Also, most of the good size trees you see out here are dead.

I also found a nice scrape further out and some turds up to 7/8" out near the point. Here is the scrape.

You can't see it very well, but he really twisted and busted up the licking branches, so here is a closer view of one of the limbs.

There is 10"-18" of water under most of those cattails.

Don't let the brush you see deceive you. A lot of it is Button bush which can grow in up to 4' of water. It usually grows where it's to deep for cattails. I have to pay close attention. If it's red brush I know it won't be deep and will be solid ground.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Re: Scouted the marsh 4-13-11

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Looks good Deerslayer. That rub is really high and more than likely a mature buck. Looks like he has all of the security he needs there to bed.

If I find any ribbon on public ground I always remove it if I can. I hate when people litter like that on public land. Most times they put it up and never come back or it is from a tracking job.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Dewey wrote:Looks good Deerslayer. That rub is really high and more than likely a mature buck. Looks like he has all of the security he needs there to bed.

If I find any ribbon on public ground I always remove it if I can. I hate when people litter like that on public land. Most times they put it up and never come back or it is from a tracking job.

or re route it back to the parking lot. :lol:
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:09 am

Way to get out and make some great finds! Everything is already green here and I had two more public spots to check out. Time to load up w/ deet and get out there anyway.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:30 am

Nice finds Deerslayer!! I would say that is a little excessive on those ribbons. I'm with dewey on taking down those. I recently have found where a hunter carves into trees to mark his trail :(
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:40 am

Good scout 8-)
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:37 am

Good looking scout, Deerslayer! I hate those ribbon trails people leave too... that dude is seriously afraid of getting lost.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:08 am

Nice find, bummer somebody had to go nutz with the ribbons. If its this time of year, I agree with others, take em down. If its during season, leave em alone. I took my little brother to Ohio with me and had made a tac trail for him to get in/out with. Needless to say somebody found the trail and wrapped it around on itself. Sounds funny Im sure, but this was a young kid and I would have been sick to my stomach if he would have gotten lost. We were not hunting that far apart thankfully, but you never know who is using those markers guys.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:10 am

Enough ribbons :lol: Good scout
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Dewey wrote:...That rub is really high and more than likely a mature buck...

I was thinking the same thing. I'm thinking he has good width and long tines. My guess is he was 3.5 and will gain some good mass this year. I just hope he made it through the season. :|

Singing Bridge wrote:Good looking scout, Deerslayer! I hate those ribbon trails people leave too... that dude is seriously afraid of getting lost.

:lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:35 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Don't let the brush you see deceive you. A lot of it is Button bush which can grow in up to 4' of water. It usually grows where it's to deep for cattails. I have to pay close attention. If it's red brush I know it won't be deep and will be solid ground.

Good scout! I wish I would have read this last part before last weekend. I ended up way out in some button brush, it was one of those too far to turn back places and I found out the hard way how deep that water can get. A nice 36 degree morning on top of it, at least I made it to the tiny island I wanted to get to and found some bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”