Scouting adventures 4/3/2011

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Scouting adventures 4/3/2011

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:50 pm

I went out yesterday afternoon for about 4 hours. I am having more luck this year than any previous year scouting. I found Three more buck beds within 200 yards of each other and assume that they are the same buck, but I could be wrong. I either have more bucks moving in to the property or I am finally aquiring the skills and practically applying what I have learned here in locating bucks beds. Either way I am grateful and super excited.

I found some old and new rubs in or near the bedding. Few were actually signs of a good buck as the majority of the rubs were small trees and not overly high. However, I did find some large 4 1/2 finger wide tracks (not super fresh, probably within a month) in, near and around the beds. Lots of hair and dry poopies.... :lol: That was in honor of Dan!
The amount of hair in the beds tells me that they are used regularly at least for a part of the year as I have never found that much hair in deer beds before.

I am going to set a stand in this area based on the tracks and usage and not worry about trail cams and what sign the rubs give me. I figure the worst thing that will happen is that I end up seeing a buck I don't want to kill.
I am guessing that this will be a North wind bed perhaps West wind if the conditions are fair. I think this is going to have to be a very, very early morning set up because there is absolutely no way to sneak up on this spot, and no area of transition out of site with a shot opportunity which means I am going to have to be there before he gets there and kill him in or very near his bed at first light.
I hadn't been in this area for a few years because there wasn't much or any sign there then, but MAN has it grown up. It is so thick and wooly you can hardly see through it let alone walk through it. It was a task let me tell you. However it is pretty remote and honestly if you were walking through the area you wouldn't think this is where a big buck would bed. Of course that is exactly the kind of spot they bed in.

I have two problems that I need help with. One....this area is thick, and I don't think I can get an arrow in there without doing some trimming. However I am afraid to change anything. Of course I want to set the stand as early as possible, but I don't want to do it before green up because I think It is going to be much much thick than it is even now and may end up sitting in a place where I can see but not kill the buck. OPINIONS?
The second problem is coyotes. I jumped a few coyotes out of a den they had under an old fallen tree within 20ft and nearly had a heartattack in the process. This den is located South of the best bed I found across a small creek about 80 yards away. Do you think the sign in the beds is not super fresh because the yotes have moved in to the area? I originally thought it was because of the crops and the fact that the best food sources is not near the area, but the yotes have me thinking.
Obviously things would be better if the coyotes weren't there but I don't want to go in there blasting and making a ruckus. Is there a way to get Coyotes to relocate?

Thanks for the input guys and gals!

Oh yeah...NO SHEDS AGAIN! AND I FORGOT THE CAMERA,but I did take some pics with my cell, but they suck...LOL

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Scouting adventures 4/3/2011

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:14 pm

I get by with a little help from my friends, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends.........Sorry just singing to myself here....anyone, anyone? Bueller?......Bueller......? :lol:
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm

I guess no one wants to talk to you. :lol:
If ya gotta trim ya gotta trim. If you are going to pre hang your stand I guess the sooner the better.
As far as getting rid of the yutes. It seems odd the deer would choose to bed next to a den. I'm not sure what to think of that situation. The deer were using that bed area so maybe everything will be alright.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm

When reading this report my first thought about the coyotes and close deer bedding was identical to what magic said. I am no expert, I really know very little to be honest but I too find it strange that the would bed so close. However I think you mentioned the bed is "across a creek" from the den, maybe that is enough of a barrier for the deer? maybe they bed there so they can smell any approaching coyote activity? (not sure if they have a way to sense via smell how near or far danger is)

As far as hanging permanent stands I agree if you have to trim you have to trim. I have switched almost entirely to hunting portable though even on private lands. It seems like the areas I hunt with heavy pressure the deer know where every permanent stand is and are always on high alert around them, a guy usually only gets one or two sits out of a permanent stand before its shot. Also, when moving in on their bedding like that and hanging a stand they will figure it out, they will remember it, they may not adjust their bedding but they may adjust their approach and be extra cautious around it. Good luck and keep the good reports coming! Also- TRY TO START REMEMBERING THAT CAMERA
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Actually, I don't want to hang a permanent stand, I want to prep a tree for my saddle, but kind of the same. I am wondering if the coyote den is a fairly new addition to the area and that is why most of the sign looks to be a month old or so. I don't know anything about coyotes, I just know I don't like them. 8-) and I don't want them messing up a good bedding area. The biggest advantage I have to hunting this area is I can walk the creek all the way in from the road without stepping foot in the woods. The down side is that I will have to be hanging around in my saddle a few hours before daylight to beat the deer there. I guess I will trim a small hole in there a few yards wide for a shot as I will be able to see the approcah to prepare UNLESS.....It's dark when he comes in then I will have to site there and watch him bed all day...LOL
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:21 pm

I would also say get in there and prep the site for the coming fall. As far as the coyotes, I can't quite understand the relationship they have with whitetails sometimes. I have witnessed a coyote walk right through a group of deer feeding in a picked cornfield and they just stared at him and then went back to eating...as if he didn't matter. I have also had other times where they see a coyote coming down a field edge and they blow out of there with no hesitation. I think it is all based on that particular deer's confidence and tolerance. I don't believe that a healthy buck will get picked on by coyotes if there are plenty of other critters to dine on in the woods (squirrels, mice, etc).

Hunt it!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:36 am

Good scouting :D
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:15 am

I agree then I would prep the tree that is what I have been doing, if its a good bedding area and that one moves on I would think another buck would probably take the area over and not even realized you trimmed. Good luck getting close to him!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the input gentlemen, I really appreciate it. I am going to get in there soon right after Turkey season and get that tree prepped and ready to rock for the fall. And if I coyote walks by....I guess I will have to smack it with the Invasion 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:57 am

Sounds like you've got it going on in that spot, Indy- I would definitely get er prepped, despite the yotes. The buck is bedding there for a reason. It isn't uncommon for me to find yote and or fox dens near buck bedding areas, there's a lot of em out there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”