Rubs next to beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Rubs next to beds

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:46 am

I really want to learn more about rubs that are right next to a buck bed. I was wondering how often do you guys find rubs right next to the bed of a buck? Also what age class is more likely to do this? yearling? Mature? Do different bucks use the same beds? I have found alot of rubs leading to the bed and every once in while find one right next to his bed. Is it a marking of territory of the bed? Thanks guys.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Rubs next to beds

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:32 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I really want to learn more about rubs that are right next to a buck bed. I was wondering how often do you guys find rubs right next to the bed of a buck? Also what age class is more likely to do this? yearling? Mature? Do different bucks use the same beds? I have found alot of rubs leading to the bed and every once in while find one right next to his bed. Is it a marking of territory of the bed? Thanks guys.

I don't know why they do it... But I do know that the beds that are rub marked get used more than those that don't typically. I have seen all ages do it. Some mature bucks will mark the bed, but there will be none or very few other rubs around. Some younger bucks will rub a line of trees straigt to and from the bed... My best guess to why they sre doing is to scent mark ( they have a gland on there forhead that secretes when rubbing ) the bed as theres...
Yes, I often see different bucks use the same beds, just not on the same days.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 am

IS there a reason mature bucks make less rubs? It seems 2.5 yr olds make the most rubs by far. I almost wonder if it has anything to do with leaving less sign or scent therefore less opportunity for predators to track them.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 am

BTW thanks for the input Dan...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:10 am

dan wrote: I don't know why they do it... But I do know that the beds that are rub marked get used more than those that don't typically.

Good to know Dan, I have a few buck bedding areas like this and I have confirmed fresh rubs next to the beds or within 10 yards of the beds the past 2-3 seasons. I guess it just feels good to know that my scouting has found some of these beds and that they get used more then others.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:11 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:IS there a reason mature bucks make less rubs? It seems 2.5 yr olds make the most rubs by far. I almost wonder if it has anything to do with leaving less sign or scent therefore less opportunity for predators to track them.

Exactly!! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:18 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:IS there a reason mature bucks make less rubs? It seems 2.5 yr olds make the most rubs by far. I almost wonder if it has anything to do with leaving less sign or scent therefore less opportunity for predators to track them.

I think Dan has mentioned older buck leaving very little sign near their bedding areas. Probably like you mentioned, less scent for predators, they are survival machines that are more secretive by nature, and they have a few ruts under their belts and know when and where to leave their scent vs tearing up every tree they see.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:44 am

dan wrote: I don't know why they do it... But I do know that the beds that are rub marked get used more than those that don't typically...

I don't know either, but I alway's assumed it was just because since they were spending so much time there that it was simply "handy" to rub there when the mood struck. I guess I never gave it a lot of thought.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 am

Each deer in a specific area know what deer is using the rub just by the scent they leave behind... :?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:11 pm

After verifying track size and knowing that I've have found a big buck, I look at rub diameter and more importantly height. I learned the height tip from Dan and it has put a new perspective in the way I view mature buck rubs. Typically, I find more rubs leading to or coming out of a big buck bedding area. Sometimes I find them around the bed, but more often than not I find them within view of the bed. This seems to vary with my KS deer though....When I find a big buck bedding area out there, the rubs are not only next to the bed but leading in and out of the sanctuary.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”