Oxbows and wind

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MIsteelworker

Oxbows and wind

Unread postby MIsteelworker » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:39 pm

So while bored at work I do as I usually do and look for places to hunt this upcoming season. I found this piece with a couple spots I think would be worth looking at, but my question is when it comes to oxbows will a buck bed looking into the wind with his back to water, or would the go somewhere else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Oxbows and wind

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:24 am

They either look at the land Bridge, or smell it while bedded... Depending on wind direction. They usually bed wind to back
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:56 am

Will they use them if there is big swamp bedding near or are oxbows mostly used in drier land areas?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:18 am

Hawthorne wrote:Will they use them if there is big swamp bedding near or are oxbows mostly used in drier land areas?

They use them in every terrain there are rivers but not all oxbows are created equal with cover and common winds, and the size of the opening and size of land within... too your point, some terrains are better than others. If the river has boat traffic matters too. But the reason a deer beds in an oxbow is because its generally a safe place where he has a good escape and can Monitor mostly one direction instead of several
mpernest

Unread postby mpernest » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:34 am

MIsteelworker wrote:So while bored at work I do as I usually do and look for places to hunt this upcoming season. I found this piece with a couple spots I think would be worth looking at, but my question is when it comes to oxbows will a buck bed looking into the wind with his back to water, or would the go somewhere else?

Glad you asked this question because I was wondering the same thing.
“There is no one else to blame.” -Jocko Willink
MIsteelworker

Unread postby MIsteelworker » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:41 am

How big of an opening would be to big this one’s according to google earths measuring tool is 170 yards wide

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”