large / medium / small

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: large / medium / small

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:04 am

wmihunter wrote:
bridge/dan,
how do you know the age of the bucks using the beds? Is it by track size?

Speaking for me: different bucks will normally use these beds. Track and rub size, along with any visuals during the preceding season help give me an idea of what I'm dealing with.

What about droppings? Bucks leave clumps, does leave pellets. Isnt there some truth to the diameter of the clump that relates to the age of the buck? Do you guys find droppings around bedding areas?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: large / medium / small

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:26 pm

kenn1320 wrote:What about droppings? Bucks leave clumps, does leave pellets. Isnt there some truth to the diameter of the clump that relates to the age of the buck? Do you guys find droppings around bedding areas?

Hi Ken- I certainly find droppings around bedding areas. My findings in regard to clumping and size of the pellets, like many types of sign left by deer, are tendencies and certainly not absolutes. For example, I've noticed the buck droppings have a tendency to clump up in my hunting areas during the rut likely due to the stress caused by the season and their poor feeding habits during that time... but these are tendencies and not anything guaranteed. We have a lot hunters on the Beast that keep pretty close tabs on bucks or track them that hardly ever see a clumping tendency, thought I'd better mention that. As far as pellet size, I do keep track of the average length of a pellet in a clump or pile of buck droppings. Once again, no guarantee of anything- but if the average pellet length is over three quarters of an inch or longer, I start paying close attention as there is an excellent chance I'm looking at the sign of a buck- this has been my experience, and I'm not speaking for others. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”