Midwest Whitetail Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Midwest Whitetail Scouting

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:39 am

For those of you who own your own land or have big leases, Bill Winke from Midwest Whitetail has videoed a recent post season scout and posted it on his site. It may be worth checking out mainly for rut hunting stand sites. Nothing new but it was good to hear and see some of the basics that way while continuing to scout this post season I can remember some of the simiplier things. Bill is mainly a rut and late season hunter and if you watch the episodes during the season you can tell it. I got some pretty good info for rut scouting. However as much as I respect Bill he is NOT scouting bedding locations and BEAST style hunting like many of us have to hunt. Its just not a tactic his choses to use. He does have the luxary of owning serveral farms and doesnt hunt public land to my knowlegde and pressure isnt as heavy as what most of us have to deal with. Anyway just thought Id share. Better to watch something woods related than nothing right!
Now time to pop in Marsh Bucks for the 7th time and take notes.

cwoods
500 Club

Re: Midwest Whitetail Scouting

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:41 am

Dan, I hope you and the guys are able to record and post the scouting session that its suppose to take place in the weekends to come up north. Id love to see a you tube video of it.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 am

cwoods wrote:Dan, I hope you and the guys are able to record and post the scouting session that its suppose to take place in the weekends to come up north. Id love to see a you tube video of it.

Shoot...I would would buy a copy :)
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm

I have al;ready been doing scouting sessions, but don't post about them out of respect for those whom hire me... Some people are very secretive about there spots and I would not want to jeoperdize there trust. I do encourage them to post a report on the site. But most keep it quiet. I do think Black Squirrle would be open to us filming the scouting by his place. I will ask him and probably post some video of it if he is ok with that.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I like Bill Winke also, but don't typically hunt the way he does. I checked out their latest video in which he was removing a stand in a "sanctuary". He commented that he hung it there in desperation and that he should have never went in there.
I partially agree with the statement but not for the reason he does. Bill plays a different game then most of us do with completely different circumstances. To each his own I guess. He's a good guy and a good hunter in his own right, but privelidged as well.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:44 pm

dan wrote:I have al;ready been doing scouting sessions, but don't post about them out of respect for those whom hire me... Some people are very secretive about there spots and I would not want to jeoperdize there trust. I do encourage them to post a report on the site. But most keep it quiet. I do think Black Squirrle would be open to us filming the scouting by his place. I will ask him and probably post some video of it if he is ok with that.

I am all for what ever filming we can do, I'm not good at fiming or posting on Youtube either. Lungbuster has clients that take priority, but has indicated if they tag out, he might make it. I just bought a cannon HF110 for self filming and will do my best to get some footage.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 am

dan wrote:I have al;ready been doing scouting sessions, but don't post about them out of respect for those whom hire me... Some people are very secretive about there spots and I would not want to jeoperdize there trust. I do encourage them to post a report on the site. But most keep it quiet. I do think Black Squirrle would be open to us filming the scouting by his place. I will ask him and probably post some video of it if he is ok with that.

Dan, I clearley see your point and that of your cleints. I did not even think of that when I had posted. Plus Marsh bucks does an exellent job of giving us what we want to see, especially for us pressured deer hunters!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:09 am

Indianahunter wrote:I like Bill Winke also, but don't typically hunt the way he does. I checked out their latest video in which he was removing a stand in a "sanctuary". He commented that he hung it there in desperation and that he should have never went in there.
I partially agree with the statement but not for the reason he does. Bill plays a different game then most of us do with completely different circumstances. To each his own I guess. He's a good guy and a good hunter in his own right, but privelidged as well.

X2. I love watching Bill's show and am really pumped that he got best new series or whatever the award is last yr but to say he is privileged is beyond true. I like their show because they have about 10prostaff guys in every state in the midwest that all work hard. I spent a few january days watching the whole WI season online. Its cool because they don't pay top dollar for outfitted hunts. They do all their own land management and deer management on their own farms. Its nice they are lucky enough to have top notch private land and its cool that they manage it on their own. (lee and tiffany have a sweet farm but pay someone else to do everything and take credit for it :roll: I knew she was too good to be true) But anyhow some of their guys hunt public land, a select few, and I know some of their WI staff has knocked on doors and gained permission on small pieces of private land in the SE part of the state. I definitely love watching bill's show but agree his "Midwest whitetail-offseason" shows don't really pertain to many of us. I like watching Dr. Grant Woods the best he has the most informative stuff from a science aspect of things and explains how and why things work to build bigger and better deer.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:19 am

Dan, I also enjoyed the youtube vids of the lone wolf setup on buck bedding areas. I didnt know these were available on you tube. Good stuff man :ugeek: Hopefully it'll draw people in to purchase the dvds, which are second to none.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:23 am

Backwoods, I once read an article by Bill Winke, were he was saying the best whitetail hunters are the guys hunting public or heavy pressured spots and taking 2.5yr old deer every year. I admire a guy who knows he's worked hard to be where he is at but is still humble enough to give credit where credit is due and pay respect to the public land blue collar hunter.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 am

cwoods wrote:Backwoods, I once read an article by Bill Winke, were he was saying the best whitetail hunters are the guys hunting public or heavy pressured spots and taking 2.5yr old deer every year. I admire a guy who knows he's worked hard to be where he is at but is still humble enough to give credit where credit is due and pay respect to the public land blue collar hunter.

Oh yeah, he is definitely a down to earth guy and has definitely worked to get where he is. Thats why I'm happy they got best new series last year because they film everything and do everything for themselves they are just a little more fortunate than the rest of us.I definitely stay up late on sundays or get up early mondays to watch his new episode online each week.

Sure would be nice to be on his prostaff hoyt and nikon has hooked those guys up with everything!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 am

cwoods wrote:Backwoods, I once read an article by Bill Winke, were he was saying the best whitetail hunters are the guys hunting public or heavy pressured spots and taking 2.5yr old deer every year. I admire a guy who knows he's worked hard to be where he is at but is still humble enough to give credit where credit is due and pay respect to the public land blue collar hunter.

Right on, cwoods- I think I remember Bill writing that he lived in Michigan for a short time and hunted the Manistee national forest, which is heavy pressure public land... it certainly can be a humbling experience for anyone.

The only thing I would add is the clarification of "heavy pressure" public land- a lot of guys think that is what they are hunting, when really its a walk in the park compared to some places in lower Mich., Pennsylvania and the like.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 am

I think I posted the numbers on top 5 states for deer hunter numbers, going from memory right now, but think it was OH, MI, PA, WI and NY this was bowhunting numbers. OH had over 300,000 and MI was at 300 K forget the other numbers. I might have PA and WI backwards, but NY was 5th. Hunters in these states have to either work their tales off or get lucky. I think even private land hunters in these states deal with severe pressure.

I also like Bill Winke writings and have watched some episodes on line
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I also like Bill Winke writings and have watched some episodes on line

I'm definitely a Winke fan, I enjoy reading Peterson's bowhunting as long as he's a contributor. I never tire of reading or watching deer hunting tactics in different situations and environments.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:29 pm

I read the same article and thought that was very rare to hear from somebody in the business that hunts highly managed land. Glad to see he remembers where he came from and repects the dedication the do it yourself hunters put in to be succesful.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”