Found Buck Bed.... now what?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Found Buck Bed.... now what?

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:10 am

Ok so Im already gearing up for next year, have one last hunt tomorrow monring then Saturday and Monday are scouting.

I found beds last year In January and marked them on my GPS but after that I had no clue how to approach it. I found them in a swamp and it was winter and in early season I had zero confidence that they were being used at that time. I also met a guy in the parking lot after a hunt who lives in the area and said that the deer yard up in the swamp in teh winter which makes sense as the cedars and pines can help fight the elements. I asked him if he ever hunted the "back corner" of the forest whic is hard to access and he got all quiet and said "you can't get deer out of there" which basically told me there deer back there.

I found some other buck beds I plan on setting cameras up on, and maybe doing a 100 yard circle scout around each bed to find trails to set up on.

How close are you guys setting up on beds?

Im also trying to figure out in season food sources and bedding, I know late season the deer in my area eat Cedar and nip on buds... it's a hard life in the winter, but Im kind of at a loss early season, I know they are feeding in some of the clear cuts so maybe thats part of the solution.

I also met a conservation officer in the parking lot just before Christmas and he said the deer populayion in the WMU is the lowest in the 17 years he's worked in the region. So it's a presseured forest with low populaton, so I really need to work my off just to be in the game.

"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
todd4554

Re: Found Buck Bed.... now what?

Unread postby todd4554 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:24 pm

I like to be under 100 for sure. I always push the envelope personally, I would rather bump then than not have a chance. Why did you not think those beds were being used early? Did you throw a sit at them?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”