A lot of Guys Don't Know About LiDAR Maps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Weaver.b

Re: A lot of Guys Don't Know About LiDAR Maps

Unread postby Weaver.b » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:04 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
Weaver.b wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:For being a long time member of a tactics based hunting forum, I am pretty terrible at communicating my tactics (because a lot of them I learned here and are well known to the members). However, LiDAR maps are an incredible resource for cyber scouting/e-scouting, and they are one tool that a lot of guys don't seem to know about.

I wrote a blog article about LiDAR maps and how I used them as part of my e-scouting on my recent trip to Iowa. If you're asking yourself "what the heck is LiDAR?", you might want to check the article out!

Article Link:
https://going4brokeoutdoors.com/next-level-e-scouting-for-whitetail-deer-with-lidar/

Here's an exaple of two benches crossing draws that aren't visible on traditional aerial maps or topo maps, but they really pop out on the LiDAR imagery.
Lidar Map Bench 2.PNG

That is Genius! Would you be willing to help me figure out how to do this for Ohio? I tried google searching but am struggling to find a good resource (I am admittedly not real tech savy)

Looks like Ohio's site is here: https://ogrip.oit.ohio.gov/projectsinitiatives/osipdatadownloads.aspx

Looks like you have to locate an area of interest on the map and zoom in to the "tile" level, and then you can download the map for a specific tile. Looks like Ohio doesn't have a real time/interactive mapping application like some other states. LiDAR images are still relatively new (compared to most mapping) and states are in various stages of hosting these images.

Good deal! Thank you

When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:27 am

Weaver, this map shows all of Ohio is available with LiDAR on Caltopo (base maps/shaded relief/normal)

I just went there and scrolled around Ohio and it is there.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:45 am

Lidar rules, I hunt hillcountry almost exclusively now in MI and OH and have gotten to the point where I rarely use anything but caltopo for all my emapping needs. Let my onx subscription go and am using g the dating for huntstand as the aerials are far superior to onx. If a mapping service used caltopos lidar and huntstands aerials, it would be a one stop shop.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:33 am

Wow, these maps are really cool! Thanks for the information.

Just looking over some of the areas I'm more familiar with, with this lidar map I can see old mining and logging roads that were cut in the hills, as well as a very narrow bench that I know a deer travels and beds on, that you can not see on topo.

Also, the ridge behind my house has a very steep wall right at the top, that isn't discernible on Topo. It's impossible to get to the top except for by just a couple small areas I have recently found on foot. I was able to see those passages immediately on this map! This will change the face of scouting, for me.

I edited to add this, this kentucky-based map shows far better detail then what I'm finding on the caltopo app. It just loads much slower. But I can't see the same roads and benches on the caltopo that I can on this link.
https://kgs.uky.edu/kygeode/geomap/
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:54 am

wolverinebuckman, I really like that you found a link to your state LiDAR information and posted it up to help others. I checked it out and yes, I agree it has higher resolution than the Caltopo information.

I think it would be great if guys/gals posted their home states LiDAR links on this thread as they find them. It would be very helpful to others as they discover the power of high rez topo information, and how that can help kill bucks.

Wisconsin LiDAR.....https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/view ... 408279da9d
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:06 pm

My state's DNR site has free access to something similar. I usually use topo and LiDAR at home, to zone in on where I want to scout out.

The LiDAR even shows old logging roads that are otherwise overgrown and not seen on other mapping. It's helped me find easier access routes.

Cool stuff.
WIswampdweller20

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Could be a game changer in the big seemingly featureless swamps near me. Thanks!
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:15 am

check the state/county you want to hunt/ scout in.

They may have an interactive map where you can enable different contour intervals.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”