Scouting transition lines and sign

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossberg90MN

Scouting transition lines and sign

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:06 pm

So I’ve already started doing my scouting for next years fall. In order to be the most efficient and cover lots of ground I’m walking transition lines on the mainland and islands and pretty much looking for waist high rubs and if I find some I venture into the adjacent dogwood or trees in the marsh.

I’m mainly looking for rubs that look like there from mid September to early October, big plus if I find historical rubs next to this years rubs. If I find that, I venture in and try to find a large bed in the adjacent bedding.

Does this sound about right? Or am I not being thorough enough?

Also when it comes to finding the beds I’m mainly just looking for a large bed, if I can find a rub in there then awesome, but If I remember correctly, I believe I heard Dan say that they don’t always rub right in there beds. Should I look for rubs in the bed?

I figure if I find good rubs on the transition line and a large bed in the adjacent bedding with exit trails, that’s the buck bed.

Thanks!

WIswampdweller20

Re: Scouting transition lines and sign

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:43 am

Mossberg90MN wrote:So I’ve already started doing my scouting for next years fall. In order to be the most efficient and cover lots of ground I’m walking transition lines on the mainland and islands and pretty much looking for waist high rubs and if I find some I venture into the adjacent dogwood or trees in the marsh.

I’m mainly looking for rubs that look like there from mid September to early October, big plus if I find historical rubs next to this years rubs. If I find that, I venture in and try to find a large bed in the adjacent bedding.

Does this sound about right? Or am I not being thorough enough?

Also when it comes to finding the beds I’m mainly just looking for a large bed, if I can find a rub in there then awesome, but If I remember correctly, I believe I heard Dan say that they don’t always rub right in there beds. Should I look for rubs in the bed?

I figure if I find good rubs on the transition line and a large bed in the adjacent bedding with exit trails, that’s the buck bed.

Thanks!

Rubs can have you grasping at straws. They have thrown me for many a loop over the years. A bit more thorough would be my recommendation. Use them as a clue, when they are in a meaningful context, but the vast majority are somewhat insignificant, only denoting the presence of a deer with antlers at some point in time- mostly likely not shooting hours. Bear in mind that transitions are also common travel routes and not necessarily in daylight, so pay more attention to patterns leading towards or away from the bedding than the ones in a row along an edge. The last couple years I’ve been paying more attention to tracks in conjunction with what the height, diameter, brown tine spacing, etc. tells you. You can typically uncover some near the rub using a loose branch to gently rake away leaves or follow the pattern until you cut a scrape or mud that’s easier to read. Look at the droppings as well. When you start identifying new rubs over historical rubs in relation to a bedding area, perk up. I believe that’s more significant than the height personally, based on the areas I hunt.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Scouting transition lines and sign

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:42 am

Sounds like your doing good to me. Keep it simple I say. Once you get into bedding and see all the sign- it can spin you around and second guess where to set up. You can "overscout" and push in beyond where you should be. And yes bucks will rub trees in their beds and/or within close proximity.
To me- Once I find the beds or bedding, I'll back track out and find ambush spots. Preferably within 100 yds of the known beds or bedding without the chance of blowing him out. If I have to set up on a transition to hardwoods and I feel it offers an opportunity- so be it. Early season I can get some encounters as long as its not pressured.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”